Freshman (Undergraduate BFA or BM)
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum GPA of 2.5. Note: Film applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- English 4 units emphasizing grammar, composition and literature
- Foreign language - 2 units of the same language (American Sign Language does apply)
- Social Studies - 2 units including 1 unit of U.S. History
- Mathematics - 3 units to include Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry or a higher level course for which Algebra II is a prerequisite; in addition it is recommended that the applicant complete a fourth course unit
- Science - 3 units with at least 1 unit in a life or biological science, at least 1 unit in a physical science (for example, earth science, chemistry, physics) and 1 must include a lab
Transfer Students and Applicants Seeking a Second Degree
- Applicants with less than 30 transferable academic credit hours must supply a high school transcript and SAT or ACT score. Transfer applicants must have completed 30 transferable academic credit hours at a college or university to which they are eligible to return do not have to submit an SAT or ACT score.
Audition/Interview Information and Dates
All applicants to UNC School of the Arts must audition or interview with arts faculty. Scheduled audition/interview dates for each arts department can be viewed by following this link: Audition/Interview Dates.
Please review this information before starting your application as you must enter a scheduled audition/interview date and location on your application.
*Note: Filmmaking applicants are pre-screened to determine whether or not an interview will be granted. DO NOT make travel arrangements until you have been contacted by the Office of Admissions.
Application Priority Dates
Applications must be received in the Office of Admission by the dates listed below. Accompanying application documentation (see below for details) must be received in the Office of Admissions before the date of your audition or interview. Note: click the arts school link to which you are applying for additional information about required documentation.
In order to facilitate a smooth admissions process and a speedy review of student files, students are encouraged to apply by a set of priority dates. Each priority date acts as a deadline by which you must apply in order to have an interview or audition granted during a given timeframe. Please review the interview/audition dates for your selected program to ensure you apply by one of the priority dates. Please be aware that each arts school has different audition and interview dates and that a school may not have audition or interview dates after a certain time.
Note Film Applicants: In addition to your portfolio, all supplemental application documentation (i.e. Transcripts, Resume, etc.) must be received by the admissions office no later than:
Instructions on how to create a Vimeo account.
- November 7th, 2014, if you plan to interview on November 22nd, 2014
- November 14th, 2014, if you plan to interview on December 6th, 2014.
- January 9th, 2015, if you plan to interview in January or February.
To submit a portfolio with your application materials, you must do so electronically, either on YouTube or Vimeo. (We are not able to accept physical media.) Please make sure that the URL address to the video functions correctly when pasted into the address bar of a web-browser. Include the link to the portfolio on your resume. Videos should be limited to 5 minutes in length or shorter.
The following information outlines the application process and documentation needed to ensure your application file is complete. Please read all information before starting your application. Your failure to provide complete, accurate, and truthful information on this application will be grounds to deny or withdraw your offer of admission or dismiss you after enrollment.
1) Application Form and Application Fee
- Complete the application form in full.
- You have the option to pay the application fee online or to choose check or fee waiver. The application fee is non-refundable.
- $95 for U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents and $130 for Non-Resident Aliens. Do not send cash. International applicants must choose the check option; do not use the credit card option. International applicants pay by Peer Transfer and should use this link: http://uncsa.peertransfer.com/
- If you are using a fee waiver please select the Check/Money Order option on the payment screen.
- If you choose to pay with a check or money order, it should include your full legal name on the check or money order made payable to UNCSA through a U.S. bank. Mail your payment along with your signed Application Agreement Statement to the following address:
Office of Admissions
UNC School of the Arts
1533 South Main Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27127
- If you cannot afford the application fee, please submit a SAT or ACT Fee Waiver request signed by your high school counselor.
- If you are applying to 2 different arts schools within UNCSA you must complete a second application and submit a second application fee.
- Official sealed, signed or notarized copies of all secondary school academic records, that includes a list of courses in which the applicant is enrolled at the time of application must be submitted to the Office of Admissions. High School seniors who have taken classes at a college/university need to contact the Registrar Office at that school and have an official transcript sent to the Office of Admissions.
- Home Schooled applicants must provide documentation that the home school is recognized by the state of residency. Home schooled applicants must provide course titles and course descriptions for each year of home schooling, tests used and evaluation of knowledge that the applicant has completed the equivalent of the UNC System minimum course requirements. If the applicant has attended a traditional high school an official transcript from that school must be submitted.
- College Transfer students must submit an official high school transcript unless you have earned a bachelor's degree. Official transcripts from all colleges attended as well as a list of course work in which you are currently enrolled, that may not yet appear on the transcript, must be mailed to the Office of Admissions.
3) Test Scores
- Official SAT (UNCSA College Board Code #5512) or ACT (UNCSA ACT Code #3133) scores, including the writing component, must be sent to the Office of Admissions from the testing agency.
- Test scores are required of all freshman and transfer applicants who have fewer than 30 transferable academic semester hours.
- International students whose native language is not English must submit a TOEFL. A minimum score of 550 pbt, 79 ibt test, 213 computer based or 6.5 IELTS is required.
4) Recommendation Letters
- 2 letters of recommendation are required of all applicants and are to be mailed to the Office of Admissions.
- 1 letter is to come from an arts instructor and 1 from an academic instructor.
- If not currently enrolled in school a letter may come†from an employer, mentor, instructor, director, etc.
- Click here for the form
5) Mandatory Information Form
- Complete, sign and give the form to your guidance counselor or college advisor to complete, sign and mail to the Office of Admissions. If not currently enrolled in school the form may be completed by an employer, mentor or instructor who has known you for at least 1 year or more.
Note: Home schooled applicants must have someone other than a parent complete the form.
- Click here for the form
6) Artistic Statement
- A 2 page statement expressing your interests, goals and other information providing insight into your work. This document may be used if you are recommended for scholarship consideration. Please include your full name on the document.
- A document detailing artistic experience and educational objectives. Note: Some arts schools require additional information. Please visit the admissions link for each arts school for requirements.
8) International Students
In addition to the above requirements, international applicants must supply the following documentation.
- TOEFL Test Score of 550 ptb or 79 itb.
- Copy of current passport.
- Copy of visa or I-20 if held at the time of application.
How To Submit My Supplemental Application Materials:
The following items can be emailed to the admissions office after completion. Please send to: MyMaterials@uncsa.edu
Recommendation Letters (Form and/or letter must be scanned and
emailed by recommender)
Please follow the format below for emailing documentation:
-When emailing your documents, follow this format for the subject line:
Last name, First name, title of document.
For example: Doe, John, Artistic Statement
- If your name is not in the subject line we cannot guarantee that your
document(s) will be processed correctly.
- In addition, please attach documents that are only in PDF (.pdf) or
Microsoft Word format (.doc or .docx). If pictures are attached please
ensure that they are either in .jpg or .png format.
The following items must be mailed to our university address (1533 South Main Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27127-2738) with attention to the Office of Admissions.
Test Scores (if applicable)
Mandatory Information Form
Please check the admissions page of the specific art school that you are applying to in order to see if there are any additional documents that must be sent to the office of admissions. (The pages are linked below)
Dance Drama Design & Production
Filmmaking Music Visual Arts