High School Program: grades 9-12 for ballet and grades 10-12 for contemporary dance.
- 10th grade students interested in contemporary dance will be given special consideration at the time of audition.
- On-campus housing is available for students in grades 9-12.
Undergraduate applicants may pursue either a Bachelor of Fine Arts or a Undergraduate Artist Certification in ballet or contemporary dance.
The following is a complete listing of Academic Year and Summer Intensive On and Off Campus Audition information for the School of Dance for the 2015-16 academic year and Summer Intensive 2015:
Application Priority Dates
Applications must be received in the Office of Admissions by the dates listed below. Accompanying application documentation must be received in the Office of Admissions before the date of your audition.
In order to facilitate a smooth admissions process and speedy review of applicant files, applicants are encouraged to apply by a set of priority dates. Each priority date acts as a deadline by which you must apply in order to have an audition during a given timeframe. Please review the audition dates for your selected program to ensure you apply by one of the priority dates. Please be aware that each arts school has different audition and interview dates and that a school may not have dates after a certain time.
- 10/24/2014 - Applicants who apply before October 24, 2014 will be eligible to audition for any of the published dates.
- 1/16/2015 - Applicants who apply after October 24, 2014 but before January 16, 2015 will be eligible to audition for any published dates after February 1, 2015.
Click the following link to view the audition dates. Dance Audtion Dates PDF
Please Note that The University of North Carolina School of the Arts reserves the right to cancel and reschedule auditions, or make other arrangements with the applicant. If weather prohibits an audition from being held the cancellation notice will be placed on www.uncsa.edu
Live Audition Requirements
- All dance auditions for both ballet and contemporary applicants begin with a short ballet class, followed by a short contemporary class. A faculty member demonstrates the dance combinations to be executed.
- Applicants must wear dance practice clothes; no particular leotard color is required for the audition. Ballet slippers will be needed for the ballet portion of the audition and bare feet will be necessary for the contemporary portion of the audition.
- Applicants are to wear no jewelry.
- Applicants must wear hair up.
- In addition to the above requirements, female ballet applicants may be asked to do pointe work.
- In addition to the above requirements, contemporary dance applicants must be prepared to present a self-choreographed solo, one to two minutes in length, danced to classical music. Examples of classical music composers are Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart, or Copland. The classical music you choose for the audition solo must be on compact disc and cued appropriately.
Video Audition Requirements
- Email video link to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail DVD.
- All videos must be received no later than Friday, March 27, 2015, by the Office of Admissions.
- Videos must be compatible with United States standard equipment/software.
- Applicants must wear practice clothes; no particular color is required.
Applicants must include the following steps on their DVD:
- At the barre - plie, port de bras, tendu, tendu jete, rond de jambe par terre, frappe, fondu, rond de jambe en l’air de cote, developpe, and grand battement.
- In the center - battement tendu with epaulement, pirouette, petite allegro, and grand allegro.
- A solo of classical variation. Women must present their solo on pointe.
- Ballet solos should be one to two minutes in length.
- At the barre - Plie, tendu/degage (straight and with plie from fifth), rond de jambe, passe developpe (front, side, and back), grand battement, and a balance on one leg. Movements should be short, but should demonstrate clarity of form and should not exceed five minutes.
- In addition, a one to two minute self-choreographed solo must be performed to classical music. Examples of classical music are Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart and Copland.
Scheduling An Audition
- Select an audition date and city from the published list and write it on the application. If submitting a DVD, please write this on the application.
- Written confirmation of the audition date, time and location will be mailed to the applicant from the Office of Admissions after the application has been processed.
- Please allow ten working days for processing.
- Auditions will not be scheduled by phone.
- Applicants should submit their application and fee by the deadline to secure the desired audition date and allow time for travel arrangements.
NOTE: The University of North Carolina School of the Arts reserves the right to cancel and reschedule auditions, or make other arrangements with the applicant. If weather prohibits an audition from being held the cancellation notice will be placed on www.uncsa.edu.
Undergraduate Application Guidelines & Requirements for Freshmen Applicants
Undergraduate Application Guidelines & Requirements for Transfer Applicants
Undergraduate Application Guidelines & Requirements for International Applicants
High School Application Guidelines & Requirements
High School International Application Guidelines & Requirements
Apply for Admission
At the time of check-in for your audition you will submit the required photographs.
- The applicant’s name is to be written on the back of the photograph (professional photographs not required)
- 5 x 7 photograph facing front, pointe tendu in second with arms in second required of all applicants
- 5 x 7 photograph in first or second arabesque on pointe required of all female ballet applicants
- 5 x 7 photograph in first or second arabesque - required of male ballet applicants
- 5 x 7 photograph in a contemporary position - required of all contemporary dance applicants
- Keep copies of the application and all materials mailed to the Office of Admissions. Items can get lost in the mail and cannot be returned.
- Do not mail application documentation to an arts departments. Always address materials to the following mailing address:
Office of Admissions
University of North Carolina School of the Arts
1533 S. Main St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27127
Summer Intensive Audition Options
Applications or pre-registration for Summer Intensive Auditions are not required: