High School Program: grades 9-12 for ballet and grades 10-12 for contemporary dance.
- 10th grade students interested in contemporary dance will be given special consideration at the time of audition.
- On-campus housing is available for students in grades 9-12.
Undergraduate applicants may pursue either a Bachelor of Fine Arts or a Undergraduate Artist Certification in ballet or contemporary dance.
The following is a complete listing of Academic Year and Summer Intensive On and Off Campus Audition information for the School of Dance for the 2015-16 academic year and Summer Intensive 2015:
Application Priority Dates
Applications must be received in the Office of Admissions by the dates listed below. Accompanying application documentation must be received in the Office of Admissions before the date of your audition.
In order to facilitate a smooth admissions process and speedy review of applicant files, applicants are encouraged to apply by a set of priority dates. Each priority date acts as a dealine by which you must apply in order to have an audition during a given timeframe. Please review the audition dates for your selected program to ensure you apply by one of the priority dates. Please be aware that each arts school has different audition and interview dates and that a school may not have dates after a certain time.
- 10/24/2014 - Applicants who apply before October 24, 2014 will be eligible to audition for any of the published dates.
- 1/16/2015 - Applicants who apply after October 24, 2014 but before January 16, 2015 will be eligible to audition for any published dates after February 1, 2015.
Click the following link to view the audition dates. Make sure to only select dates in the column labeled "School of Dance." Audition Dates PDF
Please Note that The University of North Carolina School of the Arts reserves the right to cancel and reschedule auditions, or make other arrangements with the applicant. If weather prohibits an audition from being held the cancellation notice will be placed on www.uncsa.edu
AUDITION INFORMATION (High School and Undergraduate Programs)
- Auditions in both ballet and contemporary dance begin with a short class. A dance faculty member demonstrates all of the dance combinations to be executed.
- Applicants for ballet or contemporary dance must wear practice clothes; no particular leotard color is required for the audition.
- Applicants are to wear no jewelry.
- In addition to the above requirements, female ballet applicants may be asked to do pointe work.
- In addition to the above requirements, contemporary dance applicants must also present a self-choreographed solo, two to three minutes in length, danced to classical music.
- Examples of classical music composers are Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart, or Copland. Music that is not classical is unacceptable. The classical music you choose for the audition solo must be on audiocassette or compact disc and cued appropriately.
DVD AUDITION REQUIREMENTS (High School and Undergraduate Programs)
- All DVDs must be received no later than Friday, March 27, 2015 by the Office of Admissions.
- DVDs must be compatible with United States equipment.
- Applicants must wear practice clothes.
Ballet applicants must include the following steps on their videotape:
Contemporary applicants must include a short technical demonstration at the barre or center and include the following steps:
- At the barre - plié, port de bras, tendu, tendu jeté, rond de jambe par terre, frappé, fondu, rond de jambe en l’air de coté, développé, and grand battement.
- In the center - battement tendu with épaulement, pirouette, petite allegro, and grand allegro.
- A solo of classical variation. Women must present their solo on pointe. Ballet solos should be one to two minutes in length.
- Plié, tendu/dégagé (straight and with plié from fifth), rond de jambe, passé développé (front, side, and back), grand battement, and a balance on one leg. Movements should be short, but should demonstrate clarity of form and should not exceed five minutes.
- In addition, a two- to three-minute self-choreographed solo must be performed to classical music. Examples of classical music are Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart and Copland.
Undergraduate Application Guidelines & Requirements for Freshmen Applicants
Undergraduate Application Guidelines & Requirements for Transfer Applicants
Undergraduate Application Guidelines & Requirements for International Applicants
High School Application Guidelines & Requirements
High School International Application Guidelines & Requirements
Apply for Admission
At the time of check-in for your audition you will submit the required photographs.
- The applicant’s name is to be written on the back of the photograph (professional photographs not required)
- 5 x 7 photograph facing front, pointe tendu in second with arms in second required of all applicants
- 5 x 7 photograph in first or second arabesque on pointe required of all female ballet applicants
- 5 x 7 photograph in first or second arabesque - required of male ballet applicants
- 5 x 7 photograph in a contemporary position - required of all contemporary dance applicants
- Keep copies of the application and all materials mailed to the Office of Admissions. Items can get lost in the mail and cannot be returned.
- Do not mail application documentation to an arts departments. Always address materials to the following mailing address:
Office of Admissions
University of North Carolina School of the Arts
1533 S. Main St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27127
Summer Intensive Audition Options
Applications or pre-registration for Summer Intensive Auditions are not required: