Graduate Filmmaking Admissions
The University of North Carolina School of the Arts School of Filmmaking offers Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degrees in Creative Producing, Screenwriting, and Film Music Composition. Once your application is complete and you meet the admissions criteria below, you will be granted an interview with the arts faculty.
Admission to the UNCSA School of Filmmaking is based on a combination of your personal interview, portfolio, artistic statement, and academic merits.
Deadlines & Interview Dates
|Film Music Composition Application Deadline||February 1, 2019|
|Creative Producing Application Deadline||March 1, 2019|
|Screenwriting Application Deadline||March 1, 2019|
Applicants to the MFA in Filmmaking may conduct on-campus or Skype interviews. Interviews will only be considered once your application is complete. When your complete application is on file, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office with instructions on how to set up your interview.
Applicants to all graduate Filmmaking programs should have completed an undergraduate degree or be scheduled for completion of a degree prior to the upcoming Fall semester.
Film Music Composition
- Preferred applicants should have an undergraduate degree with a concentration or major in music or music composition. If asked to interview, applicants with undergraduate degrees in concentrations other than music will be required to take a written and aural proficiency exam in musicianship.
- Physical and cognitive abilities: Applicants must, at a minimum, possess functional use of the somatic senses, have adequate motor capabilities to manage situations in which these senses would be employed, and be able to integrate data acquired via these senses.
Screenwriting or Creative Producing
- Preferred primary applicants for the Creative Producing or Screenwriting concentrations should have a minimum of two (2) years of work experience.
Minimum college GPA of 3.0
GRE Scores (Optional)
The GRE is not required for admission, but scores will be considered. If you choose to submit scores, please mail hard copies to the Office of Admissions.
International Applicants: TOEFL or IELTS Scores
International applicants are required to submit TOEFL scores, with minimum scores of: 79 internet-based, 550 paper based, 213 computer based and 6.5 IELTS.
Completed Application, Fees & Required Documents
1. Complete the CFNC online application.
2. Pay your Application Fee: $95 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, $130 for international applicants or non-resident aliens. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Online: Follow payment instructions on the CFNC online application.
- Check or Money Order (through a U.S. bank): Make payable to "UNCSA" and include your full legal name. Mail your payment and signed Application Agreement Statement—downloaded at the completion of the online application—to the Office of Admissions.
- International Applicants: Use Flywire to pay your application fee online through an international bank or pay by check or money order through a U.S. bank as listed above.
3. Upload all Required Application Documents, an interview will be granted only after all supplemental documents are received.
Please note: If you are applying to two different UNCSA art schools (Music, Filmmaking and Design & Production) you will need to complete a second application and pay a second application fee.