Chancellor's Artpreneur Grants
Chancellor's Artpreneur Grants
UNCSA defines an Artpreneur as “an artist who is not defined by what is, but inspired by all that could be; who is business savvy and technologically aware; who is devoted to creating value and impact through their creative practice; who reaches beyond existing disciplines to create new ways to connect with others; who is willing to take creative risks in order to positively transform our world.”
The 2017-2018 Artpreneur Grants offer UNCSA students, alumni, faculty and staff an opportunity to compete for funding for their creative works and enterprises. The grant program is administered by Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts. For more information, email email@example.com.
2017-18 Grant Types
Artpreneur Grants for Graduating Students
Graduating UNCSA school, college, graduate and professional certificate students may apply for these merit-based grants. Applicants will compete for $2,500 in funding for their creative work or creative enterprise. Grants will be announced at the 2018 College Commencement ceremony.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2018
- Applicants must be currently enrolled full time in a UNCSA high school, undergraduate, graduate or certificate program and have applied and be on track to graduate in May 2018
- Completion of the short webinars (click here to request access to the Canvas site)
- A basic budget with projected expenses and revenue
- Completed online application
- Two Letters of Recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant’s artistic work. One letter must come from a UNCSA faculty or staff member; the other can be an external source
- Artist fees
- Venue costs
- Discipline-specific equipment or software
- Professional services
- General expenses of transitioning from college to career
- Personal living expenses (rent, transportation, food)
- Career development expenses (headshots, classes, etc.)
- Student loan repayments
Alumni Artpreneur of the Year Grants
Two Artpreneur of the Year Grants of up to $20,000 will be awarded in May 2018 to UNCSA alumni who have founded a Creative Project or Creative Enterprise of the highest merit, artistic excellence or innovative potential.
Nominations will be made by a UNCSA committee. Grants will be announced at the 2018 College Commencement ceremony.
- Must be a verified UNCSA Alumnus
- For Creative Projects, awards will go to a generative/lead artist actively working on a creative project with screening, opening OR publication scheduled within one (1) year of application. Works which have already premiered are NOT eligible.
- For Creative Enterprises, awards will go to a founder or co-founder of an enterprise that has existed as a legal, revenue-producing entity for between 2 to 10 years (for-profit LLCs and sole-proprietorships and non-profit organizations are eligible).
Grants can be made tax-free to a qualified fiscal sponsor or non-profit organization; grants made to individuals, established LLCs, and sole-proprietors are tax-liable.
Artpreneur Grants for UNCSA-Affiliated Creative Enterprises
UNCSA-affiliated individuals (including students, alumni, faculty, emeritus faculty or full-time staff) who enroll in and complete the Creative Startups Accelerator in Winston-Salem, N.C., have the opportunity to qualify for funding and shared services to advance their enterprise. The Grant is made possible by the Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts at the UNC School of the Arts, in partnership with the Chancellor’s Artpreneur Initiative, the Center for Creative Economy and Creative Startups.
2017 grants were awarded at the Creative Startups Accelerator Awards Breakfast.