Reaction from Alumni and Friends
The election of John Mauceri as the seventh chancellor of the North Carolina School of the Arts drew immediate applause from the School’s friends.
- “I can't say how excited I am to see an artist of the caliber of Mr. Mauceri as the new chancellor! It seems to be a great step forward, and I'll look forward to hearing great news in the near future. … Even though my career has taken a turn away from the performing arts, NCSA will always be a very important part of my life. Wishing you and the school continued success!” -- Dana Mooney, Music ‘81
- “As a fan of Mr. Mauceri at the Hollywood Bowl, I am distressed he's leaving. As NCSA alumnus, rock on! I'm very proud of my school today. Mr. Mauceri will be awesome. Congratulations to both parties.” -- Michael Brake, Filmmaking ‘95
- “I am so thrilled to have an artist as chancellor again. Both Maureen (Trotto) and I feel the ‘art’ of NCSA needs to flow down from the top. Hope he does great things.” -- Duane E. Langenwalter, D&P ‘77
- I have followed this search very closely; however, I had no idea who the finalists were. I am thrilled that John Mauceri has been hired as the Chancellor and I look forward to following the School as it continues to establish itself in the pantheon of schools where aspiring artists come to be educated and grow.”
-- Alfred Duckett, Music ‘86
- “I am in distant Provence but have just read the breathtaking news of the selection of John Mauceri as our new chancellor. What a coup for NCSA, the Selection Committee and the state of North Carolina! I met him many years ago before he became an international figure and remember him as a warm, engaging and charming person. His vita speaks for itself. What an enriching experience this will be for the School -- the launch, I believe, of an altogether new age for the arts in North Carolina and the nation! My warmest congratulations …!” -- Jim Elder