Current CMS Students
Current CMS Students
|Open House||Jan. 6, 2018|
|Private Lessons||Jan. 15–May 5|
|Private Lessons Make-Up Weeks||May 7–19|
|Recital Hour #1||Friday, Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m.|
|Recital Hour #2||Friday, Mar. 23 at 5:30 p.m.|
|Recital Hour #3||Friday, Apr. 20 at 5:30 p.m.|
Deborah Suarez Piano Studio Recital*
|Sunday, Mar. 25 at 4:30 p.m.|
|Guitar Area Recital*||Sunday, Apr. 8 at 2 p.m.|
|Cello Studios Recital*||Saturday, Apr. 21 at 2 p.m.|
|Violin/Viola Studios Recital*||Sunday, Apr. 22 at 2 p.m.|
|Voice Studios Recital*||Saturday, Apr. 28 at 2 p.m.|
|Brass and Woodwinds Recital*||Sunday, Apr. 29 at 2 p.m.|
|Piano Studios of Justin Nelson, Kevin Timmons and Josh Waldron Recital*||Saturday, May 5 at 1:30 p.m.|
|Suzuki Violin Studio Recital||Saturday, May 5 at 4:30 p.m.|
|Piano Studios of Dmitri Shteinberg, Bruce Tippette and Rachel Ice and Alek Wasserman Recital*||Sunday, May 6 at 2 p.m.|
|2018 Honors Recital||
Saturday, May 12 at 2 p.m.
*Recitals for each area are mandatory for students in those studios.
Summer and Fall 2018
|Summer Session I||
May 14 - June 9 (4 weeks)
|CMS Closed||June 10 - July 11|
|Summer Session II||July 16 - August 19 (4 weeks)|
|Fall Semester 2018||September 3 - December 22|
Scheduling your busy life is quite a challenge, and your music lesson schedule shouldn’t be a source of anxiety. To help, all families/students at the Community Music School are registered for Teach Works when enrolled in private lessons or group classes.
You will receive automatic Teach Works reminders via email and text so you never forget a lesson or group class. To opt out of either text or email reminders, simply contact the CMS staff.
Please carefully read the following information. These policies are in effect to foster and promote the pursuit of musical excellence at the UNCSA Community Music School. When you establish a lesson time, you have reserved the time of a highly trained professional. Make every effort to attend your lessons on a regular basis. Your musical progress and enjoyment increase with regular instruction and consistent practice routine at home.
- New students are assigned to a studio based on their preferred teacher and faculty availability.
- Students may request to study with another available teacher at any point during their study, but are encouraged to do so at the start of a new semester
- If a faculty member becomes ill or incapacitated during the semester, another teacher may be brought in to take over the teacher’s studio. Upon the regular faculty member’s return, students have the option of returning to their teacher or choosing to remain in the substitute’s studio.
- To prevent the spread of contagious illness, students and faculty are encouraged to reschedule lessons 24 hours in advance if they are ill.
- Classes occur at the same day and time for the duration of the semester or trial period.
- Students arriving late cannot extend the scheduled lesson period or make up the missed time.
- Private lesson students are highly encouraged to attend applicable bi-weekly group classes and/or workshops as scheduling allows, and expected to participate in a minimum of one recital hour per semester.
- UNCSA Community Music School faculty members are performing artists with varied schedules. If a faculty member cannot meet a student at the regularly scheduled time, they are required to make up the lesson at a mutually-agreed upon time.
- Unscheduled absences from regularly scheduled classes or lessons for any reason result in forfeited tuition and are not eligible for rescheduling.
- UNCSA Community Music School faculty members are not required to reschedule private lessons cancelled with less than 24 hours prior notice. In the case of illness or other issue, faculty may elect to reschedule to a mutually agreed upon time, but are not required to do so.
- As a courtesy, students should inform both their teacher and the CMS office of an impending absence with a minimum of 24 hours’ notice.
- Students may request one rescheduled lessons per instrument/instructor, per semester. A permanent lesson time change for the entire period of the lessons does not count towards the rescheduling total, but should not be used as a tool to reschedule individual lessons. Lessons missed beyond this limit are forfeited, unless due to weather emergencies, holiday closures, or family emergency.
- If, for whatever reason, it is not possible for a faculty member to make up rescheduled lessons before the end of the semester, students have the option to make up private lessons with another available faculty member, or receive a tuition credit for the missed classes.
- Lessons missed by the student cannot be made up past the end of the makeup period, which consists of the two weeks following the end of the semester.
- Lessons missed due to weather and holiday closures are eligible for make-up.
If a student withdraws from lessons, refunds are given only in the following situations:
- For documented medical reasons (emergency or serious illness)
- Extenuating circumstances (Family emergency, relocating outside area, etc.)
Requests for refunds/withdrawals must be made in writing to the director of the UNCSA Community Music School and the Community and Summer Programs Office.
Payment for full semester private lessons should be made in full prior to the first lesson. Contact the Community and Summer Programs office to be placed on a payment plan if full payment is not possible. Payments for trial lesson periods and group classes must be made in full before the first scheduled lesson or class. Students must register online, and payments may be made online, over the phone, or by check. There is a $25 service fee for returned checks.