The Giannini Society is a prominent group of individual donors who support the School of the Arts annually with a leadership gift of $1,500 or more. These contributions provide a dynamic source of financial support that enables UNCSA to continue its core annual programs and initiatives, including scholarships and guest artists. Donors at this level enjoy a host of special benefits such as donor recognition, guest passes to student performances, and invitations to exclusive events, ranging from behind-the-scenes tours of facilities and productions to intimate gatherings hosted by Chancellor Lindsay Bierman at his residence.
Gift levels and benefits of the Giannini Society are:
Giannini Society Member:
Unrestricted gift of $1,500
($1,452 tax deductible*)
- Guest pass for four to a UNCSA performance ($48 value to donors, certain restrictions apply)
- Exclusive Giannini Society events featuring students, deans and faculty
- Personalized behind-the-scenes campus tour
- Annual mailing of the Performance Calendar
- Recognition in the Annual Report
Giannini Society Performer:
Unrestricted gift of $2,500
($2,452 tax deductible*)
- All of the Giannini Member benefits listed above, plus additional special benefits:
- Invitation to exclusive trips and activities
- Opportunity to view one dress rehearsal or one master class
- Invitation to “Kenan Encounters” at the Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts
Giannini Society Director:
Unrestricted gift of $5,000
($4,952 tax deductible*)
- All of the benefits of a Giannini Member and Performer listed above, plus:
- Invitation to special student performances
- Advanced notice and booking opportunity for special Giannini Society trips
Giannini Society Producer:
Unrestricted gift of $10,000
($9,852 tax deductible*)
- All the Giannini Member, Performer, and Director benefits listed above, plus:
- Opportunity to have a free one-hour student or student group performance in your home ($100 value to donor)
- Behind-the-scenes tour of a UNCSA production
Unrestricted gift of $25,000+
- All Giannini Society benefits listed above, plus:
- Invitation to an annual intimate dinner with the Chancellor and his wife
- Join the Chancellor backstage for professional and student productions
- Invitation to special events with the Chancellor and his wife along with special guests
- Receive a One-Pass Card for anytime access to the school cafeteria for lunch and a dose of pure optimism with the students
*Donors may waive, in writing, benefits that reduce tax deductibility at the time their gift is made.
For more information about the Giannini Society, please contact the Office of Advancement at 336-770-3330. To download a gift or pledge form, please click here.
For more than 40 years, planned gifts to the University of North Carolina School of the Arts have helped create the legacy that is UNCSA. Bequests and trusts from long-time supporters have helped build the School and support its programming in dance, design and production, drama, filmmaking and music.
The School grew into its current prominence because of the initiative of former Governor and progressive politician Terry Sanford, guided by visionary writer John Ehle and many, many friends and supporters from Winston-Salem and across the state. The artistic legacy left by these early pioneers to the state and beyond is unparalleled.
You, too, can make a significant impact on future generations of artists. You can establish a bequest in your will just as Ed Ratcliffe, a retired librarian from Illinois, did years ago. Mr. Ratcliffe created an endowed scholarship that has assisted literally hundreds of students who have been able to attend the School because of his foresight and generosity.
The Encore Circle was established to ensure that we appropriately recognize those alumni and friends who have created their own School of the Arts legacy through planned gifts. Membership in the Circle is accorded to anyone documenting a planned gift through:
- Retirement Plan Beneficiary Designations
- Life Insurance
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Charitable Lead Trusts
The Development Office is available to assist you in creating your UNCSA legacy by:
- Providing gift plans that benefit you, your family and the University
- Identifying immediate and deferred tax advantages to both you and your heirs; and
- Helping you create a meaningful impact on UNCSA’s students and faculty.
Now, more than ever, UNCSA’s future depends on the gifts that alumni and friends make today to benefit the University tomorrow.
For more information on the Encore Circle or how to create your Legacy, please contact:
Major Gifts Officer
University of North Carolina School of the Arts
1533 S. Main Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27127