Construction Parking for Students, Faculty and Staff
Construction Parking for Patrons Attending Performances and Screenings
The University of North Carolina School of the Arts Department of Police and
Public Safety (UNCSADPPS) is responsible for enforcing all parking and traffic
laws in accordance with the authority vested in it by the Board of Trustees
under North Carolina General Statutes 116.44.4. Our jurisdiction covers all
University owned and leased property including: buildings, parking lots, streets
immediately adjoining public streets, and satellite locations. All drivers are
expected to drive with extreme caution while on UNCSA owned or controlled
property. UNCSA police officers do enforce traffic regulations. Please abide
by the posted speed limits, honor all pedestrian crosswalks, and come to a full
stop at all STOP signs. At all times obey police officer verbal commands and
There are four new buildings under construction during 2013-14. This will limit street access at times and cause different vehicular/pedestrian routes throughout campus. There will be considerable construction truck traffic associated with these projects.
Due to safety concerns during construction, UNCSA is implmenting new parking and traffic restrictions. These restrictions are necessary for the safe operation of the community and are only temporary.
* The speed limit on campus is 6 MPH
* Almost all student parking will be in the North Student Parking Lot (below the Fitness Center).
* There is no large Commuter Parking Lot off of Ehle Dr., nor any designated student parking spaces in the Welcome Center Lot.
* The South Ehle Lot across from the Administration Building & next to the sculpture Studio (formerly the Commuter Lot) is now a faculty/staff/ visitor lot.
* The Sanford (on-the-hill) Lot off of Chapel St. is a faculty and staff lot. That Sanford Lot vehicular/pedestrian gate is now open to through traffic.
* The North Ehle Dr. gate will be for construction vehicles only. The short portion of Giannini Dr. from the Performance Place Circle to Ehle Dr. and most of Ehle Dr. will be blocked to through traffic a considerable amount of the time.
* The Center Stage tunnel is closed. Residents should walk the surface roads, cross in the newly marked crosswalks, and enter campus through the new pedestrian gate and walkway off Chapel St. at De Mille.
* There is NO PARKING on Chapel St.
* There is no drop-off directly in front of Workplace. Drop-off must be at the sidewalk behind De Mille. This sidewalk leads to Workplace and will be maintained for pedestrians.
* UNCSA Police will enforce parking rules through citing violations, “booting” vehicles, and towing vehicles.
* In the past, UNCSA Police have issued an option of “Prayer for Judgment,” which defers a parking violation fine unless the violation is repeated. Due to the parking situation, we will no longer be able to continue this practice in 2013-2014. Only valid appeals will void a fine.
Main Campus (IMPORTANT UPDATE)
Due to four construction projects under way throughout 2013-14, we have found it necessary to close some roadways and pedestrian pathways through campus. For your safety, please obey temporary signage and follow the directions of UNCSA police officers and public safety personnel, who will be on hand for most performances to assist patrons. We apologize for any inconvenience and we appreciate your patience as we transform our campus to better
meet our students’ needs.
Due to the dynamic nature of construction, parking designations for any event may change at any time. If you have any questions, please contact UNCSA Police at 336-770-3321.
To accommodate patrons, we have designated three color-coded zones for special event and performance parking, and have installed temporary signs at entrances and along campus roads. Please follow the signs that are coded for the venue that you are visiting. Special needs parking is available at each zone.
Please note that the speed limit on campus is 6 MPH.
Watson Hall and Performance Place (Cobb Rehearsal Studio, and Catawba, Patrons and Freedman Theatres)
For general patron parking please enter campus using the gate at the south end of Ehle Drive near the Administration Building. Primary parking is in the large lot on the left, adjacent to the Sculpture Studio, with overflow parking across Ehle Drive at the Administration
Building. For your safety, please adhere to newly-marked pedestrian walkways to reach your destination.
For special needs parking, please enter campus at Main Street and follow Giannini Drive to the parking lot adjacent to the Film Scoring Stage, just down the hill from Performance Place.
Alternatively, a limited number of special needs parking spaces are located in front of Watson Hall. A UNCSA police officer will be posted in the circle drive near Watson Hall to assist in locating available special needs parking.
de Mille Theatre
For general patron parking please enter campus from Chapel Street, via the entrance to Sanford Parking Lot, approximately one-tenth of a mile east of the Chapel Street gate. General patron parking is in this lot, or in adjacent areas, as directed by UNCSA police officers who will be on hand to assist you. Please note that the Chapel Street entrance near Haled Street is closed to both vehicles and pedestrians due to construction in the area.
For special needs parking follow the directions above to Sanford Parking Lot. From there, continue driving down the hill, and turn left. UNCSA police officers will be on hand to help you locate special needs parking along de Mille Drive and in the lot near Kenan Drive.
For general patron parking please enter via Main Street and follow Giannini Drive to the first left on Spangler Way. Park in the Welcome Center parking lot on the left. Walk across Giannini Drive to Daniels Plaza at Hanes Student Commons. Crawford Hall is on the second
floor of Gray Building, adjacent to Daniels Plaza.
For special needs parking please enter via Main Street and turn right on Sanford Point Drive at the pyramid sculptures. Stay to the right onto Kenan Drive and continue up the hill. Special needs parking is on the west side of Gray Building. Walk to the north around Gray Building to Daniels Plaza, where a special needs ramp will allow you to access the elevator to the second floor of Gray Building.
ACE Exhibition Complex (Main, Gold, and Babcock film theatres and BB&T Lobby)
For general patron parking please enter via Main Street and follow Giannini Drive to the first left on Spangler Way. Park in the Welcome Center parking lot on the left. Walk across Spangler Way and up the stairs to the ACE Complex.
For special needs parking please enter campus via Main Street and follow Giannini Drive to the lot adjacent to the Film Scoring Stage, just down the hill from Performance Place. This lot is dedicated to special needs parking for performances and events.