Construction Parking for Students, Faculty and Staff
Construction Parking for Patrons Attending Performances and Screenings
The University of North Carolina School of the Arts Department of Police and
Public Safety (UNCSADPPS) is responsible for enforcing all parking and traffic
laws in accordance with the authority vested in it by the Board of Trustees
under North Carolina General Statutes 116.44.4. Our jurisdiction covers all
University owned and leased property including: buildings, parking lots, streets
immediately adjoining public streets, and satellite locations. All drivers are
expected to drive with extreme caution while on UNCSA owned or controlled
property. UNCSA police officers do enforce traffic regulations. Please abide
by the posted speed limits, honor all pedestrian crosswalks, and come to a full
stop at all STOP signs. At all times obey police officer verbal commands and
There are four new buildings under construction during 2012-13. This will limit street access at times and cause different vehicular/pedestrian routes throughout campus. There will be considerable construction truck traffic associated with these projects.
Due to safety concerns during construction, UNCSA is implmenting new parking and traffic restrictions. These restrictions are necessary for the safe operation of the community and are only temporary.
* The speed limit on campus is 6 MPH
* Almost all student parking will be in the North Student Parking Lot (below the Fitness Center).
* There is no large Commuter Parking Lot off of Ehle Dr., nor any designated student parking spaces in the Welcome Center Lot.
* The South Ehle Lot across from the Administration Building & next to the sculpture Studio (formerly the Commuter Lot) is now a faculty/staff/ visitor lot.
* The Sanford (on-the-hill) Lot off of Chapel St. is a faculty and staff lot. That Sanford Lot vehicular/pedestrian gate is now open to through traffic.
* The North Ehle Dr. gate will be for construction vehicles only. The short portion of Giannini Dr. from the Performance Place Circle to Ehle Dr. and most of Ehle Dr. will be blocked to through traffic a considerable amount of the time.
* The Center Stage tunnel is closed. Residents should walk the surface roads, cross in the newly marked crosswalks, and enter campus through the new pedestrian gate and walkway off Chapel St. at Demille.
* There is NO PARKING on Chapel St.
* There is no drop-off directly in front of Workplace. Drop-off must be at the sidewalk behind Demille. This sidewalk leads to Workplace and will be maintained for pedestrians.
* UNCSA Police will enforce parking rules through citing violations, “booting” vehicles, and towing vehicles.
* In the past, UNCSA Police have issued an option of “Prayer for Judgment,” which defers a parking violation fine unless the violation is repeated. Due to the parking situation, we will no longer be able to continue this practice in 2012-2013. Only valid appeals will void a fine.
For most performances at the theatres listed below, UNCSA Police and Public Safety officers will
be on hand to assist with parking and to direct audience members to performance locations. Due to
the construction of four new buildings through 2012-2013, event parking locations may change at any time. Please defer to police officers and any signage pertaining to event parking. If you have any
questions please contact UNCSA Police at 336-770-3321.
Please note that the speed limit on campus is 6 MPH.
• Watson Hall and Performance Place
On Ehle Drive, lots are adjacent to and across the street from the Administration building.
Handicapped parking spaces are on Giannini Drive across from Film Village and at the direction of
UNCSA Police officers. The north entrance to Ehle Drive is restricted to construction vehicles
It is closed to event and through vehicular traffic. Please enter campus at Main Street or at the
south entrance of Ehle Drive. Once you are parked, please adhere to the newly marked pedestrian
walkways. Returning patrons will find changes in this pedestrian route to the "circle" due to
construction safety issues.
• De Mille Theatre
Off of Chapel Street, enter directly into the Sanford Parking Lot driving lane. This is not De
Mille Drive. Historically, this entrance has been closed to vehicular traffic. This entrance will
be open for patrons because of the construction issues. UNCSA Police officers or special event
signage will direct patrons to either continue driving down to the lower level parking spaces, or
to park immediately in this upper parking lot. Handicapped spaces are located in the lower parking
lot and at the direction
of UNCSA Police. During construction there will be times when Kenan Drive is closed to through
vehicular traffic from De Mille Drive to the roadway in front of the Police Department. Patrons
who prefer to park on Kenan Drive should enter from Main Street. From the Main Street entrance take
Giannini Drive to Sanford Point Drive (SPD). Take a right on SPD and then keep right to follow
Kenan Drive. There are parking spaces along Kenan Drive until the road in front of the Police
• Crawford Hall
From the Main Street entrance take Giannini Drive to Sanford Point Drive (SPD). Take a right on
SPD and then keep right to follow Kenan Drive. There are parking spaces along Kenan Drive until the
roadway in front of the Police Department. Overflow parking will be in the Welcome Center parking
lot. From the Main Street entrance take Giannini Drive to Spangler Way. Take a left on Spangler Way
and another left into the Welcome Center parking lot.
• ACE Exhibition Complex (School of Filmmaking)
From the Main Street entrance take Giannini Drive to Spangler Way. Take a left on Spangler Way and
another left into the Welcome Center parking lot. Across from the lot there is an outdoor
(uphill) staircase to the ACE Complex.