Jaren Atherholt is Assistant Professor of Oboe at UNCSA and also the Principal Oboist of the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, a position she has held since 2007. Originally from Fairbanks, Alaska, she left home at the age of 16 to pursue oboe study at Interlochen Arts Academy with Daniel Stolper and continued her education at Cleveland Institute of Music and at Rice University.
Jaren enjoys practicing Ashtanga yoga in her free time. She is married to Ben Atherholt, who she met at Rice University. They enjoy spending time with their two dogs, Rocky and Jessie.
When Jaren Atherholt rises out of the mix as an independent voice, she's impossible to ignore...
The Times Picayune
- Studied with John Mack at Cleveland Institute of Music and with Robert Atherholt at Rice University.
- Two seasons as Principal Oboist of the Sarasota Opera Orchestra.
- Has performed as guest Principal Oboist with the Detroit Symphony, Florida Orchestra, Syracuse Symphony and Orquestra Sinfonica de Mineria in Mexico City.
- Has performed as guest Associate Principal Oboist with the Pittsburgh Symphony.
- Featured concerto soloist with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, Tulane University Orchestra, Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra, Washington Chamber Symphony at the Kennedy Center and the Fairbanks Symphony.
- Previously served on the faculty of the John Mack Oboe Camp, Wintergreen Music Festival and the Vianden International Music School and Festival in Vianden, Luxembourg.
- Founder and Executive Director of Lyrica Baroque, a chamber ensemble and non profit organization based in New Orleans.
- Spent four summers performing in the Marlboro Music Festival. She has also performed for the Grand Teton Music Festival Winter Chamber Series and A Far Cry.
M.M. Performance in OboeShepherd School of Music at Rice University
B.M. Performance in OboeCleveland Institute of Music
High School DiplomaInterlochen Arts Academy