Certified Countertechnique Instructor Kira Blazek Ziaii joined the UNCSA Dance faculty in 2016. A former company member with Hubbard Street 2, Douglas Dunn & Dancers and Phantom Limb, she has danced a wide variety of styles and understands the value of versatility and adaptability.
Countertechnique, which has roots in Alexander technique, creates a framework for the dancer to meet each day with curiosity and experimentation. This approach builds off helpful knowledge of body, weight and flow—and combines it with mental clarity and compassion.
- Company member with Hubbard Street 2, Douglas Dunn & Dancers and Phantom Limb.
- Performed in works of Bill Young, Sally Silvers, Christopher Williams, Janice Lancaster, Nicole Wolcott, Ryan McNamara, Anouk van Dijk and Susan Marshall.
- Dancer for Pilobolus Creative Services (2012)
- Dancer in Shen Wei Dance Arts for works: “Rite of Spring,” “Near the Terrace,” “Undivided/Divided” and “Collective Measures.”
- Adjunct Instructor at University of Oklahoma
- Guest teacher at Houston Ballet Academy, Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet, Princeton University, California State Long Beach and NYU’s Playwrights Horizons Theater School.
- Working on music videos for Beach House and De Lux.
M.F.A.California Institute of the Arts
B.F.A.University of Oklahoma