Volunteer With Us
Founded in the late 1970s, The Associates is a group of dedicated people whose common interest is the advancement of UNCSA and the well-being of its students. This volunteer organization provides a number of opportunities for you to support and promote the activities of the school. We invite you to become involved in the life of the school through one of The Associates’ volunteer opportunities listed below.
The Associates of UNCSA
The Associates of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts is a volunteer organization established in the late 1970’s. The mission of The Associates is to:
- Support, promote and build audiences for student performances, activities and needs.
- Foster increased visibility and relationships between UNCSA and the Triad.
- Increase the number of community volunteers and provide them the opportunity to participate in UNCSA’s mission of preparing exceptionally talented students for careers in the performing and moving image arts.
How else do The Associates benefit the UNCSA community?
- The Associates Endowed Scholarship Fund was established in 2012 with an anonymous matching gift. Each year a scholarship
is awarded to students demonstrating financial need.
- At the end of the year, a portion of the organization’s operating funds is distributed to the deans to benefit students directly.
To pay for your membership online, click here. Type in the amount of your gift. Designate "Other" from the drop down menu and type "Associates Dues."
- Helpmates: Assist on a regular or ad hoc basis in offices, the Mail Center, and other campus locations; deliver performance calendars; welcome new students and their parents on audition days, open house days, and campus move-in days; assist with Behind the Scenes programs; assist during Community Day. Opportunities fit almost any schedule. All Helpmates are notified of all opportunities as they arise.
- QUIP (Quick Trip): Provide transportation in your vehicle for high school students who need to pick up supplies for their classes from local businesses. QUIP providers must register for clearance from the High School Division.
- Cookie Baking: Provide cookies for high school exam periods (late fall and spring) and the supper for "The Nutcracker" cast and crew (December). This is a beloved tradition among high school students!
- Hospitality: Join a team of cooks and bakers who prepare and serve sweets and savories for receptions following Associates-sponsored events including the Annual Kick-off (fall) and Behind the Scenes (fall and spring) and for the reception following Mozart’s Birthday Concert (January).
- Host Family Program: Get to know students personally and form lifelong friendships. Local families and individuals provide a local ”home away from home” for students who would like a break from campus life and/or short-term housing for students who cannot make it home when the campus is closed for a scheduled seasonal break. Host Family applicants are subject to background checks.
- Photographers: Snap photos at Associates’ events for posting on The Associates’ Facebook page and for the UNCSA archives.
- Student Filmmaking: Participate in day-time talk-back sessions with filmmaking students and their instructors by viewing a student film in-progress and sharing your reactions; offer your home or other property you own for student filmmakers to consider as a location for film shoots. All Associates are notified of all opportunities as they arise.
- Salon@Six: Host a student artist performance in your home including refreshments. A Salon@Six team will consult with you to match your space with performance needs.
- Guest Artist Housing: Provide short-term or long-term lodging in your home or guest house/apartment for an artist visiting the campus.
Board of Directors
- President: Susan Melville
- Vice President: Linda Bettis
- Secretary: Bonnie Cook
- Treasurer: Calvin Jones
- Immediate Past President: Nola Miller
- Behind the Scenes: Mary Allen Martin, Anne Sessions
- Film Liaison: Howard Skillington
- Helpmates: Bob McNair, Jean Davis
- Historian: Nancy Gwyn
- Hospitality: Janet Rodie, Sarah Pierce-Rubio
- Host Families: Anna Goodman, Clare Jordan
- Members at Large: Linda Bettis, Mindy Bloom, Judy Watson
- Membership: Karen Robertson
- Newsletter: Becky Brown
- Salon@Six: Carolyn Bailey, Carloyn Peddycord, Pam Short
- Social Media: Bob McNair, Judy Watson
The Associates' Board of Directors meets at 11:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday of each month of the school year in the 4th Floor Seminar Room in the library. All Associates members are invited to attend the monthly board meeting.