North Carolina School of the Arts with Logo
School of Dance School of Design and Production School of Dance School of Filmmaking School of Music Visual Arts Academic Programs Student Life International Student Services Home apply search ncsahome
Prospective Students

Instructions for Applying Navigational Arrow 
ESL Navigational Arrow 
  Tuition and Fees Navigational Arrow 
  FAQs Navigational Arrow 

Student Visa Guide      
for Accepted applicants
Navigational Arrow  

Current Students
  Employment Options Navigational Arrow 
Helpful Web Links Navigational Arrow 
Quick Links Navigation
 Frequently Asked Questions

How many international students attend UNCSA?
Approximately 35 students from more than 20 countries make up the international student population. International students are enrolled in all five of the arts disciplines, and represent all age groups, from the high school through the graduate programs.

What documentation do I need to submit to have my I-20 issued?
You will need to submit a International Financial Statement and a bank statement translated into English showing that you can pay for your first year of study at UNC School of the Arts.

Is there special housing for international students?
What if I can’t go home for the breaks when the residence halls close?

Special housing is not provided specifically for internationals, although some graduate and undergraduate college students may reside in the Bailey Street Apartments or Center Stage Apartments. These apartments stay open during the winter and spring breaks, and students living in them can remain during those breaks. The college residence halls and the high school residence halls close for the breaks, so students living there must plan to vacate their rooms during those times. A Host Family program is available to international students, and many international students stay with host families or friends over the winter and spring holidays. All dorms close for the summer.
More Information on Residence Life

What kinds of activities are available on campus?
Student Activities plans a variety of events and activities for students of all ages. Yearly annual events include Fall Fest (a fall festival), Froze Arts (a winter festival) and the annual Beaux Arts festival and ball, which occurs at the end of spring semester. Student Activities also provides free transportation to local shopping and movie theaters, and sponsors The What?, is an on-campus coffee house for college students. More information on Student Activities.

Will I need a car to get around off-campus?
Students can take advantage of the free transportation to shopping, movies, and other events off-campus offered through Student Activities. These trips are scheduled weekly and are listed in the Every Friday Email. Limited public transportation from the School of the Arts to downtown Winston-Salem and other outlying areas is also available. Some students, particularly those who live off-campus, find that owning a car is helpful. Residential high school students may not have cars on campus.

Do I need to take the TOEFL test to apply to UNCSA?
What TOEFL score do I need to get in?

If English is not your first language, you are required to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) for admission to the School’s college programs. TOEFL scores of 79 internet based, 550 (paper based) and 213 (computer based), and 6.5 ILTS, respectively, are recommended for the college undergraduate degree and graduate programs.

Do international high school students need to take the TOEFL?
No. High school students who speak a first language other than English must take the TOEFL Junior. A score of 745 or higher is required for admission.

What about help with English or ESL classes?
Are these offered at UNCSA?

Yes. The School offers an ESL course for non-English speakers. The course is a year long, three term, non-credit course entitled, ESL 100: Academic English for Non-Native Speakers. The course provides intensive writing, reading, and academic skills practice and prepares students for doing academic work in English. ESL 100 is offered through the division of Academic Programs and is open to college and graduate students whose first language is not English. Enrollment in the course is by placement test. Students who are admitted to the undergraduate degree program may take ESL 100 concurrently with their other Academic Programs courses. For high school students, individual ESL tutoring is available in conjunction with the high school Academic Programs program. ESL tutoring appointments are also available for college students.

Does UNCSA require health insurance for international students?
Yes. All international students attending on F-1 visas are required to have health insurance that meets U.S. federal requirements. Health insurance is offered through the university and will be billed to the student's account upon acceptance.

All students have access to the medical and health services provided by the on-campus Student Health Services. More information about the Student Health Services

Whom do I contact for questions regarding my student visa or I-20?
The Designated School Official (DSO) is responsible for handling international student visa issues.