North Carolina School of the Arts with Logo
School of Dance School of Design and Production School of Dance School of Filmmaking School of Music Visual Arts Academic Programs Student Life International Student Services Home apply search ncsahome
Prospective Students

Instructions for Applying Navigational Arrow 
ESL Navigational Arrow 
  Tuition and Fees Navigational Arrow 
  FAQs Navigational Arrow 

Student Visa Guide      
for Accepted applicants
Navigational Arrow  

Current Students
  Employment Options Navigational Arrow 
Helpful Web Links Navigational Arrow 
Quick Links Navigation
 Web Links
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services web page has valuable information about visa classifications, citizenship, laws and regulations. There are also many forms available for you to print and send to the respective government agencies.
As an international student you are unfamiliar with the Social Security numbers that Americans live by. Social security numbers are an important part of identification that Americans use for opening bank accounts, purchasing cell phones or renting apartments. As an international student you will not likely have a social security number. As an international student you will need a social security number if you choose to work on or off campus.  If you are interested in accepting employment, please see the International Student Coordinator for more information.
As a non-resident, you are required to file taxes with the International Revenue Service (IRS), even if you were not employed.  This form is called 8843.  If you have been employed in the US as an F-1 student, in addition to the 8843, you will also file 1040-EZ form which is for your income tax return.  International Student Services holds a tax seminar for international students prior to the April 15th deadline for filing taxes.  However, this seminar does not replace professional advice, and you are advised to use a professional tax service to assist in your filing process.  You may also call 1-800-829-1040 to speak with an IRS representative.  Please be sure to tell the representative that you are a non-resident for tax purposes.