Brass Studio website
Office: Gray, Studio 106B
Phone: (336) 631-1524
"I prepare serious horn students for elite careers in the music world. With me, my students will develop the strong technical and musical foundation necessary to earn top horn positions. Since I am an active performer, I incorporate relevant performance concepts directly into my teaching. I train my students to become problem solvers – an essential skill for emerging young artists."
Dr. Maria Serkin is an assistant professor of horn at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. Dr. Serkin earned a Bachelor of Music from the Eastman School of Music, a Master of Music from the New England Conservatory, and a Doctorate of Musical Arts from the Manhattan School of Music. An avid educator, Dr. Serkin has taught horn master classes extending from the Eastman School of Music and The Juilliard School, to the Crescendo Summer Institute in Sárospatak, Hungary. Her doctoral research established a progressive method of transposition marking a first in the advancement of horn methodology.
- Founding member of Virginia Sinfonietta, a professional chamber orchestra dedicated to the performance and creation of contemporary art music
- Her New York and Miami recording credits include work with The Public Theater's Shakespeare in the Park, Gloria Estefan, and ESPN.
- Principal horn with the Charlottesville and University Symphony Orchestra at University of Virginia
- Performed with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Kansas City Symphony, Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, Spoleto Festival USA, National Repertory Orchestra, Pacific Music Festival, Boston Early Music Festival, and was a fellow at the Tanglewood Music Center.
- Former Principal Horn with the Florida Grand Opera and Palm Beach Symphony