Voice Faculty: Glenn Siebert, Angela Vanstory Ward, James Allbritten, Marion Pratnicki, Steven LaCosse, and Marilyn Taylor
Craft your distinctive voice
Personalized instruction - Preparation for artistic and career success
Extensive performance opportunities
The voice department at UNCSA is committed to helping students become the best artists they can be. Students are encouraged and challenged by the entire faculty. Voice students are under the direct supervision of artist-faculty members James Allbritten, Steven LaCosse, Marion Pratnicki, Glenn Siebert, and Marilyn Taylor.
You will unite your talents with classical vocal traditions to help you reach your full potential. Our graduates have sung with the Metropolitan Opera, Chicago Lyric Opera, Seattle Opera, Glimmerglass Opera, Chautauqua Opera Festival and Central City Opera, to name a few.
As a voice major, you will have individual lessons with experienced performer-teachers. Your curriculum is supervised by professionals in each field, and includes:
- Weekly voice lesson
- Weekly studio class
- Vocal Literature
- Language study in Italian, German, and French
- Acting for Singers
- Opera Workshop
- Stage Makeup
- Dance Movement
We strive to create as many performance opportunities as possible for our students, including:
- Major opera productions accompanied by full orchestra, with sets and costumes from UNCSA’s renowned School of Design and Production.
- Opera scenes, or full one-act operas with piano.
- Cantata Singers, performing a variety of repertoire, including major works with the Winston-Salem Symphony.
- Performance hour, a weekly opportunity to perform for the entire music school.
- Solo recitals and the opportunity to perform with instrumentalists.
- Possible engagements with professional music organizations such as Piedmont Opera, the Magnolia Baroque Festival, and more.
The individual attention, expert instruction and first-rate musical performances at the UNCSA School of Music voice department offer unique opportunities for the serious voice student.