Kenan Scholarship Nomination & Award Process
Each arts school will select up to three first year college degree-seeking applicants whom they consider to be their most talented or “top” artists, based on their audition/interview process, to nominate for this scholarship.
- Arts schools may choose to use additional information from the application materials to inform their decision to nominate, e.g., GPA, SAT, activities, etc.
- Applicants should have auditioned and been recommended for acceptance by the arts school no later than the end of February.
- Applicants will be first-time UNCSA college students. (Having college credit from another institution is acceptable as long as they will be enrolled as a first-year college for the first time at UNCSA.)
As soon as possible but no later than the end of February, arts schools will submit to Financial Aid a letter of nomination highlighting the artistic excellence of each nominee. The purpose of this letter will be to express the exceptional talents observed by the arts schools.
- Admissions Office will route supporting-document packets to Office of Student Financial Aid as soon as possible but no later than the end of February.
- Students must be officially accepted for admission into the degree program before the Kenan Review Committee meeting. Admissions Office will expedite review as necessary to meet deadlines of the Kenan Excellence Award Review Committee.
- Provost will appoint the Review Committee for the William R. Kenan, Jr. Excellence Award.
- Financial Aid Office will prepare nominee notebooks (letters of nomination and supporting documents) and supply them to the Review Committee (end of February) in advance of the first meeting.
- Provost/Staff will schedule initial Review Committee Meeting.
Review Committee will determine up to six finalists during the first meeting—target date early March for the first meeting.
- Review Committee will prepare standardized interview questions to be asked of all nominees, while also allowing flexibility for additional questions based on responses from nominees (questions determined at the first meeting or another meeting prior to the interviews).
- Financial Aid Office staff can/will be present during the first or subsequent meeting to facilitate to the Review Committee process.
- Review Committee will coordinate interviews of finalists (communication, interview options, scheduling).
- Review Committee will interview finalists (mid March or sooner, if possible) and
prepare recommendations no later late March.
Note: Years 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 interviews conducted by telephone conferencing.
- Recommendations from the Review Committee will be sent to the Provost/Chancellor as soon as possible, but no later late March.
- Final determinations on the three Kenan Excellence Award recipients will be made no later than late March.
- Recipients will be notified via telephone on the first business day following the committee's decision. Office of Student Financial Aid will prepare award notifications by March 31.