Host Family Program
The Host Family Program was established in 1983, as volunteers to support young artists living away from home. We encourage students who live out-of-state or internationally to participate in the Host Family Program, but any residential high school student may participate. Host Families are personally recruited and recommended by members of The Associates, the campus support organization. They are known for being exemplary community members, positive role models, great supporters of the arts and UNCSA.
Host families provide students with connections to the greater Winston-Salem community. Host Families may be an excellent support for students living away from home in a variety of different ways, such as:
- Opportunities to get off campus on available weekends for a little rest and relaxation, a home- cooked meal, or a dinner out.
- Offering students rides to doctor’s appointments, local stores of interest not on the weekly shuttle bus route, and even to the airport to fly home for breaks if possible.
- Support and appreciation for the arts by attending students’ performances, when parents are unable to attend or even with parents in attendance. Host families enjoy getting to know parents/guardians of the students too.
- Making arrangements or connections for students to participate and attend special arts related events in the Winston-Salem and broader NC communities.
- Offering a place to stay during breaks when the residence halls are closed and students cannot journey home due to time, money and/or other travel constraints.
- Opportunities to participate in off campus dinners and/or community service projects with host families.
If you are interested in having your student participate in the Host Family Program, please make sure that the student is equally interested in participating, as Host Families want to provide support to students who are receptive to this extension of hospitality and genuine care. The Host Family Program is an optional support program for students with a long history of making meaningful lifelong connections between UNCSA high school students and benevolent community members.
If you’d like to find out more about the Host Family Program, representatives will be available on Move-In Day to answer any questions you may have about the program. Students or families who would like to apply to participate, should complete a Host Family Program Application: