Candidate’s Guide to the Faculty Rank Promotion Process
This guide is intended to provide a Candidate for Faculty Rank Promotion a general overview of the process. Links to guidance documents and forms are included. Detailed information can be found in those guidance documents and forms.
Before You Begin
- Attend a Faculty Rank Promotion informational workshop. Look for workshop announcements in your email and the My SA Minute.
- Talk to your dean about your intention to apply for faculty rank promotion. Make sure you start thinking about external reviewers that you and your dean can agree upon.
- Read the guidance documents and review the forms to understand what is expected of you.
- It may be helpful to add deadlines into your calendar.
What Guidance Documents Will Be Helpful?
This is a list of guidance documents that will be helpful to the Candidate specifically. Please see the Rank Promotion section of the Faculty Affairs web page for all of our guidance documents.
- Process & Deadlines for Rank Promotion
- Dossier Requirements for Rank Promotion
- Dossier Checklist for Candidate for Rank Promotion
- Procedures for Faculty Self-Evaluation for Rank Promotion
- Sample Self-Evaluations (coming soon)
- Definitions & Sample Criteria for ESP Rank Promotion
- Guidelines for Reviewers of Rank Promotion Applications.
- External Review Guidelines for Candidates & Deans for Rank Promotion
- External Reviews FAQ
Process and Deadlines
- September 1: Deadline to submit Letter of Intent for Rank Promotion to Faculty Affairs. Email your Letter of Intent to email@example.com.
- September 15: Deadline for Candidate to upload External Reviewer Nomination Form for Rank Promotion to Interfolio ByCommittee.
- October 1: Deadline for Candidate to upload Application for Rank Promotion and their Rank Promotion Dossier to Interfolio ByCommittee.
Use Process & Deadlines for Rank Promotion to keep track of deadlines and to get a step-by-step perspective of the entire rank promotion process.
Rank Promotion Dossier
- Faculty Affairs will initiate your case in Interfolio ByCommittee after you submit your Letter of Intent. This is where you’ll upload all of your Rank Promotion Dossier materials. You will receive an email from the Office of Faculty Affairs with a link to “View Case” along with instructions for using Interfolio ByCommittee once your case has been initiated.
- More information about preparing your Rank Promotion Dossier can be found in Dossier Requirements for Rank Promotion and the Dossier Checklist for Candidate for Rank Promotion. Be sure to read this – it provides details about what you need to put in your Dossier and provides links to help you develop those materials. Of note, Procedures for Faculty Self-Evaluation for Rank Promotion and the Sample Evaluations are designed to help you write your self-evaluation and Engaged & Sustained Résumé. And it’s important to read because dossiers that don’t meet the requirements will be returned.
- Upload your Rank Promotion Dossier by uploading your materials to Interfolio ByCommittee. The due date is October 1.
- Nominate your external reviewers. Complete the External Reviewer Nomination Form for Rank Promotion and submit it to your Dean by October 1. Your dean will use this to aid in the selection of external reviewers. Your dean will submit your External Reviewer Nomination Form to Faculty Affairs at a later date for inclusion in your Rank Promotion Dossier.
- More information about the external reviewer process (including how to choose an external reviewer, how many reviewers you need, the procedure for soliciting external reviews (the dean does it) and what happens to those letters) can be found in External Review Guidelines for Candidates & Deans for Rank Promotion Another helpful document is the External Reviews FAQ.
- Your dean will work with you to select a minimum of 3 external reviewers. One will be from your External Reviewer Nomination Form. The second will be selected jointly by you and your Dean and may or may not be drawn from your Nomination Form. The Dean has discretion to select the final reviewer from your Nomination Form or select someone of his/her own choosing.
- Your Dean will send a letter to the approved external reviewers asking them to provide a review. If they agree, your Dean will send them the External Reviewer Evaluation for Rank Promotion. This form has links to the guidance documents Definitions & Sample Criteria for ESP Rank Promotion and Guidelines for Reviewers of Rank Promotion Applications. Your Dean will also send your dossier materials.
- Your external reviewers will upload the External Reviewer Evaluation for Rank Promotion to Interfolio ByCommittee by December 15 for the Dean’s review.
Peer Review Committee Evaluation
- Your Peer Review Committee will complete its review and upload the Peer Review Committee Evaluation for Rank Promotion to Interfolio ByCommittee by December 15 for the Dean’s review.
- If you have questions about the Peer Review Committee process in your school/division, please contact your Office of the Dean.
Your Dean will complete his/her review and upload the Dean’s Evaluation for Rank Promotion to Interfolio ByCommittee by February 1. The Dean will also upload the Final List of External Reviewers for Rank Promotion at the same time.
Faculty Rank Committee Review
The Faculty Rank Committee will review Rank Promotion Dossiers during February and March. Their recommendations will be uploaded to Interfolio ByCommittee by March 31.
After the Faculty Rank Committee completes its review, your Dossier will go to the Provost for review. The Provost will present his/her recommendations to the Board of Trustees at its last meeting of the academic year and the Board will vote on those rank promotion recommendations. See the Process & Deadlines for Rank Promotion document for specific dates.
Notification to Candidate
Once the Board of Trustees has voted, Faculty Affairs will send you a notification letter via email.