Surplus Property Policy #309
|Policy #309||Approved: February 17, 2011|
|UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
Surplus Property Policy
|Source of Authority:|| N.C.G.S. § 143-64.04;
N.C.G.S. § 116-34(a);
UNC Code § 502(A)
|History:||First Issued: February 17, 2011|
|Related Policies:||Surplus Property, N.C.G.S. §§ 143-64.01 to 143-64.9;
Allocation of Academic Spaces Policy #401;
Fixed Assets Policy #304;
Improper Activities Reporting Policy #114;
Purchasing Policy #308;
|Responsible Offices:||Purchasing Department|
|Effective Date:||February 17, 2011|
The purpose of this Policy is to govern the disposal of surplus State and federal property belonging to UNCSA.
This policy applies to the disposal of all surplus State and federal property belonging to UNCSA.
A. “State-Owned Property” means property in the possession of the State or a State agency, such as UNCSA, and purchased with State funds, property donated to the State, or property purchased with other funds that give ownership of the property to the State.
B. “Surplus Property” means property no longer used and needed by UNCSA.
A. Purchasing is responsible for the disposal of surplus property on campus.
B. Departments should transfer all property and equipment to Surplus Property as soon as it is determined that it is no longer needed.
C. Disposing of Surplus Property
1. Surplus property may not be transferred or sold except to other departments.
2. Surplus property may not be discarded, given away, or converted to personal use.
3. UNCSA may seek approval from the State Surplus Property Agency to operate an on-site satellite surplus store.
4. Surplus property not needed by another UNCSA department will be listed with the State Surplus Property Agency to advertise it for public bid.
D. Purchasing Surplus Property
1. Departments may purchase surplus property by sealed bid, negotiated sale, or public auction.
2. Purchases of surplus property from other State agencies must be made via a purchase order.
V. Revision History
A. February 17, 2011 – Adopted by Board of Trustees as part of UNCSA Policy Manual
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
Surplus Property Procedures
I. Surplusing Property and Arrange Pick-up on Campus
A. A Transfer/Surplus Property form must be completed PRIOR to sending any items to our Surplus Property Warehouse or transferring items to another department.
1. A separate form must be used for each item.
2. Multiple items may be listed on one Transfer/Surplus Property form when a group of like items without fixed asset decals is being declared surplus property. For example, if surplusing 20 student chairs, use one form for “20 student chairs.”
B. Facility Services will handle delivery and pick-up of your surplus property on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Notice of 48 hours is required and your request should be submitted to Diane Millette (ext. 3323)
II. Purchasing Surplus Items
A. If a department knows of items for sale by another State agency prior to it being placed on sealed bid, the department may negotiate a price with that agency
B. Parties interested in purchasing surplus property valued greater than $100 may view bid sheets, states classifieds, vehicles lists, and place bids on line at http://www.ncstatesurplus.com/ssp/public/ssphomepage/ssp.htm.
III. Picking Up Purchased Surplus Items
A. No labor will be furnished when picking-up items from either the on-site satellite store or the State store in Raleigh.
B. Buyers must be prepared to carry the items they purchase at the time of purchase.