Dear fellow UNCSA High School Families,
On behalf of the UNCSA High School Parent Support Organization (PSO), greetings to new and returning high school parents! Your accomplished young artist joins a wonderful community of students, faculty, administrators, and families all committed to cultivating the unique artistic and academic strengths of your child.
The PSO provides opportunities for parents to stay actively engaged in and to meaningfully contribute to the high school program. Begun in 2009 by a handful of committed parent volunteers, the PSO continues to invest in both resources and relationships that support the mission of the school. Through your generous donations of time and money, we are able to mitigate the effects of chronic budget cuts , create tools and occasions that help parents stay connected with one another, and otherwise recognize this very special place.
In just three years, we’ve:
- Funded replacement of fifteen old classroom laptops
- Funded the conversion of a computer lab back into a fully-furnished classroom
- Replaced failed classroom LCD projectors
- Donated to the endowed high school teacher fund
- Hosted parent hospitality suites during move-in days for new students
- Sponsored teacher appreciation events for each trimester
- Funded science microscope maintenance that was not in the school budget
- Funded half the cost of security cameras on the classroom floor of the Gray Building
- Organized parent social events during Family Weekend and on prom night
- Established a Senior Gift tradition
- Organized the Family Support Network to welcome new families to UNCSA
- Published periodic newsletters to keep all parents informed about PSO activities.
The Family Support Network links new parents with a current parent for information and recommended services. If you are a parent of a new high school student, we’ll help facilitate that connection when you join the PSO Yahoo discussion group. Click on the following link, log-in to Yahoo or register for an account, and it will automatically take you to the registration for the group. There is a space for parents to include the identifying information that the group requests.
Parents enrich school life by volunteering, attending social gatherings, and supporting UNCSA events and programs. Your participation demonstrates a commitment to UNCSA and its students. Here are some ways that you can become involved:
- Join the PSO – This link will take you to the school’s online donation form. Choose the amount that you would like to give, chose “Other” as your designation, and then designate your gift to “PSO.” Grandparents, alumni parents, alumni and friends can be a “Friend of the PSO.” Friends of the PSO receive our newsletter and are invited to volunteer. Membership dues are tax-deductible!
- Attend meetings - Specific meeting dates, times and teleconferencing instructions will be e-mailed to PSO members in advance of each meeting and can also be found at the bottom of this page as plans are made.
- Volunteer - Volunteering is a rewarding way to get involved, meet other UNCSA families, and make a difference in the life of your child. The PSO has an annual slate of officers, and we have standing committees for Membership, Fundraising, Hospitality, Social Networking, Family Support Network, and more. As volunteer needs arise, we’ll send out an email solicitation via VolunteerSpot. (The Nutcracker boutique is our major fundraiser and requires significant parent support,)
- Join the UNCSAPSO Yahoo! Group - Network with other parents, without geographic limitations. In the past year, we’ve had discussions about student transportation, local restaurants in Winston-Salem, residence life, and more. Membership in this group is restricted to parents of UNCSA high school students, to prevent spamming. (See link above.)
- Participate in store-loyalty programs - Raise funds for the school while doing your regular shopping. See the Fundraising for details.
- Attend social events - Meet other UNCSA families. Details about social gatherings on Family Weekend, Prom Night and other dates will be emailed to all high school parents.
- “Like” the High School Academic Program Facebook page - Keep up on announcements from the school at https://www.facebook.com/PickleParents
Best wishes for a fantastic school year! I look forward to meeting you on campus in person. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, suggestions or concerns.
UNCSA PSO Chairperson 2012-2013
Winston Salem. NC
HS PSO By-Laws
Committee Reports Fall 2012
PSO will be running the Nutcracker Boutique again in December 2014. Watch for further announcements!