Summer Intensive Curriculum
Summer Intensive Curriculum
Students in the School of Drama's Summer Intensive will receive comprehensive training in this rigorous program. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in the inspiring Play-In-A-Day Saturday workshops and the specially-designed Professional Focus Workshops in Week 4. The Drama Summer Intensive is open to age 15 and up.
Students will spend at least six hours a day, five days a week, in dance, acting, combat and singing classes. Both script work and improvisation are included in acting classes, with ample time afforded for collaboration and discussion. Master classes and workshops in improvisation, auditions, directing, stage combat, musical theater and acting for the camera are part of the exciting and rigorous curriculum.
A unique feature of this intensive is the opportunity for all students to participate in Evening Investigation Workshops. For an additional fee of $50 (paid at check-in) students get to choose from a wide range of master classes and workshops that take place in the evenings. Also included in this fee is the Play-In-A-Day Saturday performance series where students create original plays – as writers, directors, actors, producers and stage managers. Performances are held for the student body in our Studio 634 performance space.
A College Auditioning workshop will be held in the third week for students who want to learn about the audition process.
- Saturday, June 24, 2017 – A Play in a Day (optional)
- Saturday, July 1, 2017 – A Play in a Day (optional)
- Saturday, July 8, 2017 – Skills Showcase Presentation (optional)
Skills classes continue in the morning as scheduled. In the afternoon, students will attend one Professional Focus Workshop:
- Acting for the Camera – Explore the craft of acting in front of a camera. Students will gain skills in acting technique and important on-camera experience.
- Musical Theatre* - This workshop will expand singing skills, and performance presence, and will hone acting skills in song. The workshop culminates in a Cabaret Performance.
- Directing – This workshop explores theatrical directing concepts and provides students ample time to work with actors and discuss the craft of making theatre.
- Shakespeare – A close study of the incredible text of William Shakespeare and how to fully embody heightened text. Everyone who takes this workshop becomes a better actor.
- Contemporary Acting (2 sections) – Continue working on the acting path and strengthen skills in scene work, character study, text analysis with this workshop.
- Improvisation – Theater games, comedy, thinking on your feet, living in the moment: this workshop uses the work of Viola Spolin to structure a fantastic class. Prepare to laugh a lot!
- Combat Directors Intensive – Combat Directors work directly with Combat Students to take the training to the next level.
- College Audition Preparation – This workshop includes discussion of specific schools, monologue selection, application timeline, essay work, monologue direction and interview discussions.
The session ends with a full day of demonstrations, showcase presentations and a thrilling Musical Theater Cabaret for parents and families.