Visiting professor and member of the Board of Trustees, alumnus Al Crawford has been the lighting director of the world-renowned Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater since 1998. During his career, Crawford has designed 18 new works for Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and 12 for Ailey II. Additionally, he has been responsible for maintaining the lighting for the significant Ailey repertory designed by many of the top lighting designers in the industry.
- Former adjunct faculty member at the University of Connecticut School of Fine Arts
- Serves as selection committee member of the Gilbert Hemsley Lighting Internship Programs at Lincoln Center
- Crawford has spoken at universities around the country, at the United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT) Conference, Live Design International (LDI) and the Stagecraft Institute of Las Vegas
- In 2015, Crawford was a guest lighting designer for UNCSA's acclaimed production of "Guys and Dolls"
- A huge believer in cross genre design, Al founded Arc3design, a lighting design group dedicated to merging his theatrical aesthetic into all areas of art, architecture, dance, live music, theater, broadcast and live event production
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Crawford has been awarded the Knight of Illumination Award, considered globally to be one of the top achievements in Lighting Design
- United Scenic Artists, USA-829
- International Alliance for Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE), Local 635
B.F.A. LightingUNC School of the Arts