David J Brown serves as the CEO at David J Brown Arts Mangement and is the Co-Founder of DENT: Creative ReUSE Center. Like much of the faculty at UNCSA, his teaching effort is filtered through the hands-on experience of working with thousands of artists on hundreds of projects. Brown's aim is to infect students with the bug to find out what inspires them by immersing them in their own creative interests.
In my opinion, an artist is she or he who lives a creative life. Your openness to all kinds of 'art' forms will open many doors and can lead to places you'd never imagine.
- Four decades of working in contemporary art museums in Baltimore, Cincinnati, Norfolk, Roanoke and Winston-Salem
- The multimedia SECCA takeover of the Barnstormers— a 26 member troupe from New York and Japan
- Lesley Dill's Tongues on Fire: Visions and Ecstasy—an exhibition of new work based on 700 personal testimonies of spirituality and mysticism collected by the artist in Winston-Salem and a performance by the a cappella Spiritual Choir of Emmanuel Baptist Church
- Yoko Ono: En/Trance (U.S. premiere)
- David Byne: What It Is?
- Beyond Glory: Re-Presenting Terrorism (36 international artists)
- Kustom Kulture: Von Dutch, Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth, Robert Williams and Others
- Big Ideas, Bright Minds—a creative lecture series with Anna Deveare Smith and others
- The HOME House Project: the future of affordable housing—a multi-year initiative and book with MIT
- College Art Association, Services to Artists Committee—3 year term, organizing free programming for the CAA's national conferences in New York, Chicago and Washington
Cert. Not for Profit ManagementDuke University
M.F.A.Virginia Commonwealth University
B.F.A.Old Dominion University