As a teacher and mentor, I try to be open and honest. I accomplish this by sharing my own successes and failures with them– it may happen in the classroom, in a rehearsal or during a conversation in my office. I may not show them how to solve a specific problem, but how to understand the issue, assess the best practices for handling similar situations and understand the consequences of those choices.
Our students learn the skills in the classroom and test that knowledge through practical applications stage managing between 2-4 productions each semester working on student-led teams in opera, contemporary and classical dance, drama and musicals in five different theatres. That depth and variety of training produces stage managers who are ready to enter the field as young professionals years ahead of other programs.
- Stage Manager at San Francisco Opera, The Washington Opera at JFK Center for the Performing Arts, Spoleto Festival, USA, Lyric Opera of Kansas City, Anchorage, Charlotte, Piedmont and August Operas, Francis Ford Coppola at Zoetrope Studios
- Executive and Line Producer for large corporate and entertainment events at Jack Morton Productions, Washington, DC and Production Group International (PGI)
- Rehearsal Director, World Cup Opening Ceremonies at RFK Stadium, Washington DC
- Interim Dean, School of Design & Production
- Member: Actor’s Equity Association (AEA)
- American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA)
- United States Institute of Theatre Technology (USITT)