Jaren Atherholt is the Assistant Professor of Oboe at UNCSA. She previously served as the Principal Oboist of the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra from 2007 - 2018. Originally from Fairbanks, Alaska, Atherholt left home at the age of 16 to pursue oboe study at Interlochen Arts Academy with Daniel Stolper and continued her education at the Cleveland Institute of Music and at Rice University.
Atherholt enjoys practicing Ashtanga yoga in her free time. She is married to Ben Atherholt, whom she met at Rice University. They enjoy spending time with their two dogs, Bes and Jessie.
When Jaren Atherholt rises out of the mix as an independent voice, she's impossible to ignore...The Times Picayune
- Studied with John Mack at Cleveland Institute of Music and with Robert Atherholt at Rice University
- Recitals and masterclasses at Rice University, University of Texas at Austin, University of Kentucky and University of Kansas
- Has served on the faculty of the Interlochen Center for the Arts, John Mack Oboe Camp, Wintergreen Music Festival and the Vianden International Music School and Festival in Vianden, Luxembourg
- Two seasons as Principal Oboist of the Sarasota Opera Orchestra
- Has performed as guest Principal Oboist with the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, Detroit Symphony, Florida Orchestra, Syracuse Symphony and Orquestra Sinfonica de Mineria in Mexico City
- Has performed as guest Associate Principal Oboist with the Pittsburgh Symphony.
- Founder and Executive Director of Lyrica Baroque, a chamber ensemble and non profit organization based in New Orleans
- Spent four summers performing in the Marlboro Music Festival. She has also performed for the Grand Teton Music Festival Winter Chamber Series and A Far Cry.
Featured concerto soloist with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, Tulane University Orchestra, Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra, Washington Chamber Symphony at the Kennedy Center and the Fairbanks Symphony