Experienced filmmaker Joanne Moore joined the School of Filmmaking faculty in 2017 after producing several films and television pilots including the Hollywood cult classic "Swimming With Sharks." Moore also served as the former president of Dustin Hoffman's production company, Punch Productions, and former executive-in-charge at Yorktown Productions. As an educator, Moore is particularly proud of of preparing women to enter and thrive in what continues to be a male-dominated industry.
I create an entirely new syllabus for each course every semester. My teaching style is student centered, encouraging active learning by asking questions that help students tap into their creativity and develop a deeper understanding of the topic.Joanne Moore
- Producer of "Swimming With Sharks," an award-winner at the Deauville Film Festival, Seattle International Film Festival, the Independent Spirit Awards and the New York Film Critics Circle. It has been adapted as a stage play in England, Mexico and Korea and is recognized on AFI's 100 Years...100 Heroes & Villains List of Best Villains.
- Former president of Dustin Hoffman's production company, Punch Productions, where she oversaw the Emmy-winning film "Devil's Arithmetic," and National Board of Review Winner "A Walk On The Moon."
- Former executive-in-charge at Yorktown Productions for the Academy Award-nominated and Golden Globe-winning film "The Hurricane."
- Created a comic book/graphic novel publishing company called Invisible Hand.
- Co-wrote the comic book series "Urban Monsters," in development at 20th Century Fox, with the director of "Men In Black," Barry Sonnenfeld.
- Producer of the CableAce-nominated Showtime short film, "Big Al."
- Credits include: "Introducing Matt Howard" pilot (2011), Nickelodeon, Creator/Executive Producer; "The Nanny Files" pilot (2009), USA Networks, Creator/Executive; "Soccer Moms" pilot (2005), ABC, Creator/Executive Producer; "Countdown" pilot (2004), ABC, Executive; "Rockboy" (2002), Showtime, Producer; "Rollerball" (remake) (2002), MGM, Executive; "Boys And Girls" (2000), Dimension Films, Executive; "A Walk On The Moon" (1999), Miramax, Executive; "The Thomas Crown Affair" (Remake) (1999), MGM, Executive; "The Hurricane" (1999), Universal Pictures, Executive; "The Devil’s Arithmetic" (1999), Showtime, Executive; "The Furies" (1999), Warner Brothers, Producer/Executive; "Bogus" (1998) Warner Brothers, Executive; "For Richer Or Poorer" (1997), Universal Pictures, Executive; "The Whole Wide World" (1996), Cineville, Executive; "Cafe Society" (1995), Cineville, Executive; "Swimming With Sharks" (1994), Lionsgate, Producer; "The Crew" (1994), Cineville, Executive; "Big Al" (1993), Showtime, Associate Producer
- Graphic Novel: Celebrity Zombie Killers (2010) Story By, Co-Editor-In-Chief
- Comic Book Series: Urban Monsters (2008) Co-Writer, Co-Editor-In-Chief
- Comic Book Series: Odd Squad (2008) Co-Editor-In-Chief
- Graphic Novel: Serpo (2008) Co-Editor-In-Chief
Awards, Recognitions & Honors
- Chair, Producing Department, School of Filmmaking, UNCSA
- Recipient, Excellence In Teaching Award, UNCSA, 2019-2020
- Fellow, Spatial Justice Studio, Center For Design Innovation, 2018-2019
- Member, California Bar Association
- Interim Director, Inglewood Cultural Arts
J.D.UCLA School of Law
B.A. Political ScienceUniversity of California Riverside