Emmy Award-winning screenwriter Joy Goodwin's classroom is modeled on the best collaborative environments she has known in the entertainment world—part laboratory, part workshop. She poses problems for students to solve and encourages a lively give-and-take culture.
I know that the next generation of filmmakers will need to be adaptable, so I teach timeless skills and encourage experimentation. The most important thing for beginning artists is to develop the creative habits and practices that will sustain them for a lifetime.
- Films Goodwin has developed and co-produced have won Golden Globe, Sundance and Spirit awards, and have been distributed by Lionsgate, Fox Searchlight, TWC, HBO Films, ABC and Focus, among others. They have premiered at Sundance, Toronto and Tribeca.
- Wrote, produced and directed documentary television for ABC, ESPN, NBC, A&E and The History Channel.
- Published an award-winning book, "The Second Mark," with Simon & Schuster.
- Former theater critic and reporter for The New Yorker and The New York Times.
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Athena Screenwriting Lab, 2018
- Emmy Award, 2001
B.A. English LiteratureWake Forest University