Award-winning Drama choreographer and instructor Kelly Maxner is Director of the High School Drama Program. Prior to teaching at UNCSA, he taught at the South Carolina Governors School for the Arts and Humanities, Baypath College, Amherst College, Pioneer Valley Performing Arts Charter High School, Mount Holyoke College and Mimar Sinan University (Istanbul).
The individual is divine. By strengthening the individual organic instinct and grounding the artist in their own unique expression the work being produced is infused with soul and originality.
- Choreographed/directed for the Golden Mean Theater (Los Angeles), Great Lakes Theater Festival, Dallas Theater Center, One Arm Red (NYC), the Ankara State Opera and Ballet’s Modern Dance Turkey, Dans Fabrikasi (Istanbul), and Theater Alliance of Washington D.C.
- As a performer, he has performed in Taiwan, Turkey, Egypt and across the United States.
- Choreographing his first musical
- UNCSA's Commencement every year
- First time being hired by a former student
- Performing for more than 20 years at Brenner Children’s Hospital
- Performing with his wife for more than 20 years
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Helen Hayes Award for Outstanding Choreography, "Still Life With Rocket," 2018
- Helen Hayes Award for Outstanding Choreography, "Occupied Territories," 2016
- R. Philip Hanes Young Leader Award, 2010
M.F.A. ChoreographySmith College
B.F.A. Drama (Directing)UNC School of the Arts
B.F.A. Contemporary DanceUNC School of the Arts