I base my teaching style on a narrative, conversational approach. To prepare my students to stand out from other professionals in their field, I try to instill open-mindedness and self-awareness.
- Numerous solo shows of mixed-media dolls and shrines
- North Carolina Storytellers Guild member
- Whimsical Women Art Guild of Winston-Salem member
- Research Sabbatical, Fall 2009, in which I traveled to Arizona to research Hopi myths on the Hopi reservation, as well as research on Dr. Walter Reed in the archives at Fort Lewis College.
- Exhibited paintings at the Slotin Outsider Art Show, March 1997.
- Recipient of a $500 grant from the National Malice Domestic Convention, April 1995, for Best Unpublished Mystery Novel.
- Teaching mixed-media at the Sawtooth School, summer 2014.
- Receiving a Kenan grant to devise a new, experimental course for Spring 2016 that was co-taught by colleagues in Dance, Psychology and Science on Erosion: Science, Art, Society.
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Faculty Teaching Award, 2007
- Numerous Kenan grants.
- NC Storytellers Guild
- Interfaith Winston-Salem
- Winston-Salem Friends
- NC Writers Network.
Ph.D. RhetoricDuke University
B.A. EnglishVassar University