Mary Elizabeth Bowden is a Resident Artist in the Brass Department of the UNCSA School of Music. Her focus on creative entrepreneurship has led to a burgeoning career as a soloist and chamber musician. She is founder and leader of Seraph Brass and the Chrysalis Chamber Players.
Classical Trumpeter and Gold Medal Global Music Award Winner Mary Elizabeth Bowden has been described by Gramophone Magazine as “brilliant” and “radiant in new repertoire for trumpet.” Bowden, a Yamaha Performing Artist, released her debut album “Radiance” on Summit Records. Following summer debuts with Montana’s Big Sky Festival and the Lieksa Brass Week in Finland, Bowden’s 2017-18 performance highlights include solo performances with the Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra, Chrysalis Chamber Players and the Bonita Springs Concert Band in Florida.
- Studied with the principal trumpeter of the Philadelphia Orchestra, David Bilger, at The Curtis Institute of Music
- Studied on a full scholarship with trumpeter Allan Dean at Yale School of Music
- Founder and leader of Seraph Brass, which performed as a featured ensemble at the 2017 International Women’s Brass Conference and at the Lieksa Brass Week in Finland
- Founding member of the Chrysalis Chamber Players, a recipient of a Yale Alumni Grant
- Served as Principal Trumpet of the Sarasota Opera Orchestra, Lakes Area Music Festival Orchestra, New Zealand’s Auckland Philharmonia, the Daejeon Philharmonic in Korea and with Seraphic Fire’s Firebird Chamber Orchestra and the Lucerne Festival Academy in Switzerland
- Served on the adjunct faculty of Virginia Commonwealth University and at The Curtis Institute of Music’s Young Artist Summer Program
- Member of the Richmond Symphony and the Des Moines Metro Opera Orchestra.
- Currently the Principal Trumpet of the Artosphere Festival Orchestra.
- First Prize winner of the 2012 International Women’s Brass Conference Trumpet Competition
- Collaborated in chamber music programs at the Marlboro Music Festival, Lakes Area Music Festival, The Banff Centre and at the Sydney Opera House.
- Performed many dates on Adele’s 2016 North American tour.
Performing as a soloist with the Peninsula Symphony (California), Laredo Philharmonic Orchestra, Croatian Army Wind Band, Festival Amadeus Strings (Montana), Fifth Avenue Chamber Orchestra in Naples, Springfield Symphony (MO), Naples Symphony, Richmond Philharmonic Orchestra, San Juan Symphony, Springfield (OH) Symphony Orchestra and New Haven Chamber Orchestra, among several others
B.M.The Curtis Institute of Music