Michael J. Smith joined UNCSA in 2018 as the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration, with 25 years of experience in financial services. He previously served as Chief Financial Officer for the Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS) in Camp Lejeune for nine years.
- Chief Financial Officer at MCCS (2009-18), where he supervised a staff of approximately 200 and provided executive-level financial management and leadership to an organization with more than 2,500 employees and resources in excess of $300 million.
- Served in various other roles at MCCS, including Cheif Accounting Officer and Controller in Okinawa, Japan.
- Holds six financial certifications including Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Financial Manager (CFM), Charted Global Management Accountant (CGMA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and Certified Defence Financial Manager (CDFM)
- American Institute of Certifed Public Accountants (AICPA)
- North Carolina Associate of Certified Public Accountants (NCACPA)
- Institute of Managment Accountants (IMA)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC)
B.A. AccountingLakeland College