High School Host Family Program
The UNCSA Host Family Program is sponsored by The Associates of UNCSA in coordination with the UNCSA High School Residence Life Programs & Housing staff. It provides a “home-away-from-home” for UNCSA High School residential students who would benefit from having a local connection and offers community members a unique way to participate in the life of a young artist student while they are far from home and the support of family.
My relationship with my host family has helped me through homesickness. I appreciate the chance to study and just hang out during the weekends spent at home. The program has also helped reassure my parents about my being so far away from home.
UNCSA Dance Student
What to Expect
Host Families and students typically gather twice each year at UNCSA-sponsored Host Family events, including a kick-off dinner and a year-end dinner, usually at the home of a Host Family.
Students and Host Families each share some general information about themselves and what they would like in a Host Family relationship on their applications so they can be well-matched.
Students and Host Families decide together how often and what types of interactions they would like. Often Host Families host students for family dinners or offer a quiet place to study or rest off-campus. They can provide transportation, arrange other outings, and attend performances.
For Residential High School Students
- Contact High School Residence Life for complete information and an easy-to-complete student profile form.
- Once approved and matched with an approved Host Family, Residence Life contacts students to put them in touch with their Host Family.
- Matches are made at the start of each school year, and students may elect to continue with a family for as many subsequent years as both student and family are amenable.
For Potential Host Families
- Contact The Associates of UNCSA for complete information and fill out the profile form below to provide some brief information on your family and your preferences in a student.
- Membership in The Associates, UNCSA’s community volunteer organization, is required to serve as a Host Family. The membership form can be found here.
- UNCSA Human Resources completes a background check on all Host Families every year.
- Host Families may carry over a student from a previous year or elect to host a new student (or take a year off anytime).
- Matches are made at the start of each school year, and contact information is shared to put Host Families and students in touch.
Serving as a Host Family definitely sparks a new connection between our family and the school! It is exciting to get to know a young artist and include him in some of our family times. We like sharing Winston-Salem with him, and love getting to see him perform. It really brings the school to life in a new and fun way, and we especially encourage families with children at home to participate.