And So We Walked
And So We Walked: An Artist’s Journey Along the Trail of Tears is a new documentary, solo theater project written and performed by Cherokee performance artist and community activist DeLanna Studi and directed and produced by Kenan Institute for the Arts Executive Director Corey Madden.
Upcoming residencies and performances:
March 31-May 16, 2018
Portland Center Stage, Portland, Oregon
Triad Stage hosted the play’s North Carolina premiere in April 2017 at the Hanesbrands Theatre.
As part of the project, the Kenan Institute for the Arts and the Cherokee Historical Association also hosted the Native American Theatre Project, a three-week “creative co-laboratory” in Cherokee, NC, sponsored in part by the Cherokee Preservation Foundation.
Other project partners include:
- Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians
- The Museum of the Cherokee Indian
- Autry Museum of the American West
- Native Voices Theatre
- Center for the Study of the American South
- American Indian Center at UNC – Chapel Hill
- Process Series at UNC – Chapel Hill
- Playmakers Repertory – Chapel Hill
- MAP Fund