Contract Reappointment Evaluation
Multi-year contract faculty undergo Contract Reappointment Evaluation for their next contract in the penultimate year of their current contract. Faculty who are scheduled for evaluation will be notified by the Office of Faculty Affairs by April 1 prior to the evaluation year. This guide is intended to provide a Candidate for Contract Reappointment Evaluation a general overview of the process. If you have any questions, please contact Kim Pauley 336-770-3261 in the Office of Faculty Affairs.
What Guidance Documents Will Be Helpful?
- Procedures & Deadlines for Contract Reappointment Evaluation
- Packet Requirements for Contract Reappointment Evaluation
- External Review Guidelines for Candidates & Deans for Contract Reappointment Evaluation*
- External Reviews FAQ*
- UNCSA Faculty Manual (see Section 8.1)
*Note: External review is required only for multi-year contract faculty undergoing Contract Reappointment Evaluation for 5-year and 10-year contracts. Salary-scale system faculty are exempt.
What Forms Are Required from the Candidate?
- External Reviewer Nomination Form for Contract Reappointment Evaluation (5-year and 10-year contracts only)
- Self-Evaluation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation
Procedures & Deadlines
September 15: Deadline for Candidate to upload the External Reviewer Nomination Form for Contract Reappointment Evaluation (for 5-year and 10-year contract reappointment evaluations only) to Interfolio RPT.
October 1: Deadline for Candidate to upload Contract Reappointment Evaluation Packet to Interfolio RPT.
January 10: Deadline for Candidate to submit optional response to Peer Review Committee Evaluation. The Candidate may elect to submit a response, including additional supplemental materials, to the Peer Review Committee Evaluation. Responses should be uploaded to Interfolio RPT.
March 1: Deadline for Candidate to submit optional response to Dean’s Evaluation. The Candidate may elect to submit a response, including additional supplemental materials, to the Dean’s Evaluation. Responses should be uploaded to Interfolio
Detailed procedures and deadlines can be found in Procedures & Deadlines for Contract Reappointment Evaluation document.
Contract Reappointment Evaluation Dossier
The Office of Faculty Affairs will initiate a Contract Reappointment Evaluation case for you in Interfolio RPT over the summer. This is where you’ll upload all of your Contract Reappointment Evaluation packet materials. You will receive an email from the Office of Faculty Affairs via the Interfolio platform with a link to “View Case” along with instructions for using Interfolio RPT once your case has been initiated.
More information about preparing your Contract Reappointment Evaluation Packet can be found in Packet Requirements for Contract Reappointment Evaluation. Be sure to read this – it provides specific details about your packet requirements.
Submit your Contract Reappointment Evaluation Packet by uploading your materials to Interfolio RPT. The due date is October 1.
You will maintain read-only access to your packet after the due date. At that point, you will no longer be able to add or edit packet materials. However, you will retain access to view your packet at any time during the Contract Reappointment Evaluation process.
- Faculty undergoing Contract Reappointment Evaluation for a 5-year or 10-year contract must undergo evaluation by an external reviewer as part of the process. Salary-scale system faculty are exempt from the external review requirement.
- More information about the external reviewer process (including how to choose an
external reviewer, how many reviewers you need, the procedure for soliciting external
reviews, and what happens to those letters) can be found in External Reviews FAQ and
External Review Guidelines for Candidates & Deans.
- You’ll need to nominate your external reviewers by September 15. Complete the External Reviewer Nomination Form for Contract Reappointment Evaluation and upload it to Interfolio RPT by that date. Your dean will use this to aid in the selection of external reviewers.
- Your dean will work with you to select a minimum of 3 external reviewers. One will be from your External Reviewer Nomination Form. The second will be selected jointly by you and your Dean and may or may not be drawn from your Nomination Form. The Dean has discretion to select the final reviewer from your Nomination Form or select someone of his/her own choosing.
- Your Dean will send a letter to the approved external reviewers asking them to provide
a review. If they agree, your Dean will send them the External Reviewer Evaluation
for Contract Reappointment Evaluation along with your packet materials.
- Your external reviewers will upload the External Reviewer Evaluation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation to Interfolio RPT.
Peer Review Committee Evaluation
- Your Peer Review Committee will complete its review and upload the Peer Review Committee
Evaluation & Recommendation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation to Interfolio RPT
by December 15 for the Dean’s review. The Dean will meet with the Peer Review Committee to discuss
its evaluation and recommendation by January 15.
The Office of Faculty Affairs will share the Peer Review Committee evaluation with you via Interfolio RPT after it is submitted by the Committee.
You may provide a response, including additional supplemental materials, to the Committee’s evaluation for Dean consideration if you so choose. This is optional. It is not a requirement. The response is due by January 10.
- If you have questions about the Peer Review Committee process in your school/division, please contact your Office of the Dean.
- Your Dean will complete his/her review using the Dean's Evaluation & Recommendation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation. He or she will meet with you to discuss your evaluation by February 10. You will be given copies of your external review letters (as applicable), the Peer Review Committee’s evaluation and the Dean’s evaluation. You will sign the Acknowledgement Statement for Contract Reappointment Evaluation during this meeting.
- You may provide a response, including additional supplemental materials, to the Dean’s evaluation for Provost consideration if you so choose. This is optional. It is not a requirement. The response is due by March 1.
- After meeting with you, the Dean will upload the evaluation, the signed acknowledgement statement, and the Final List of External Reviewers for Contract Reappointment Evaluation to Interfolio RPT by February 15 for Provost review.
The Provost will complete his/her review and provide a written decision by May 3.
In the case of a negative recommendation from the Peer Review Committee or Dean, the Provost will convene the Reappointment Advisory Committee no later than April 1 to review the evaluation and act in an advisory capacity.