Contract Reappointment Evaluation
Multi-year contract faculty undergo Contract Reappointment Evaluation for their next contract in the penultimate year of their current contract. Faculty who are scheduled for evaluation will be notified by the Office of Faculty Affairs by March 1 prior to the evaluation year. This guide is intended to provide a Candidate for Contract Reappointment Evaluation a general overview of the process.
What Guidance Documents will be Helpful?
- Procedures & Deadlines for Contract Reappointment Evaluation
- Packet Requirements for Contract Reappointment Evaluation
- External Review Guidelines for Candidates & Deans for Contract Reappointment Evaluation*
- External Reviews FAQ*
- UNCSA Faculty Manual (see Section 8.1)
What Forms are Required from the Candidate?
*Note: External review is required only for multi-year contract faculty undergoing Contract Reappointment Evaluation for 5-year and 10-year contracts. High School Academic Program faculty are exempt.
Procedures and Deadlines
Contract Reappointment Evaluation Packet (Due Sept 1)
The Office of Faculty Affairs will initiate a Contract Reappointment Evaluation case for you in Interfolio RPT. This is where you’ll upload all of your Contract Reappointment Evaluation packet materials. You will receive an email from the Office of Faculty Affairs via the Interfolio platform with a link to “View Case” once your case has been initiated. Instructions for using Interfolio RPT will be included in your case initiation notification email and can also be found on the Interfolio Login and Help page.
Until your case is created, you may assemble your materials in Interfolio’s Dossier Institution. Information about using Dossier to prepare for reviews can be found here.
More information about preparing your Contract Reappointment Evaluation Packet can be found in Packet Requirements for Contract Reappointment Evaluation. Be sure to read this – it provides specific details about your packet requirements.
Submit your Contract Reappointment Evaluation Packet by uploading your materials to Interfolio RPT. The due date is September 1.
You will maintain read-only access to your packet after the due date. At that point, you will no longer be able to add or edit packet materials.
Faculty undergoing Contract Reappointment Evaluation for a 5-year or 10-year contract must undergo evaluation by an external reviewer. High School Academic Program faculty are exempt from the external review requirement.
You will submit the External Reviewer Nomination form as part of your Contract Reappointment Evaluation packet which is due September 1. Your dean will use this to aid in the selection of external reviewers.
Your dean will work with you to select a minimum of 3 external reviewers. One will be from your External Reviewer Nomination form. The second will be selected jointly by you and your Dean and may or may not be drawn from your Nomination form. The Dean has discretion to select the final reviewer from your Nomination form or select someone of his/her own choosing.
Your Dean will send a letter to the approved external reviewers asking them to provide a review. If they agree, your Dean will send them the External Reviewer Evaluation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation form along with your packet materials.
Your external reviewers will upload the External Reviewer Evaluation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation form to Interfolio RPT. Your dean will provide you with a copy of these evaluations when you meet with him/her to discuss your contract reappointment evaluation.
More information about the external reviewer process (including how to choose an external reviewer, how many reviewers you need, the procedure for soliciting external reviews, and what happens to those letters) can be found in External Reviews FAQ and External Review Guidelines for Candidates & Deans.
Peer Review Committee Evaluation & Candidate's Optional Response
Your Peer Review Committee will complete its review and upload the Peer Review Committee Evaluation & Recommendation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation form to Interfolio RPT by October 28 for the Dean’s review. The Dean will meet with the Peer Review Committee to discuss its evaluation and recommendation by November 22.
The Office of Faculty Affairs will share the Peer Review Committee evaluation with you via Interfolio RPT after it is submitted by the Committee. You may elect to submit to the Dean an optional response regarding the Peer Review Committee Evaluation. Responses must be uploaded to Interfolio RPT using the provided link within 7 calendar days from the date Faculty Affairs shares the Peer Review Committee Evaluation with you.
If you have questions about the Peer Review Committee process in your school/division, please contact your Dean’s Office.
Dean’s Evaluation & Candidate's Optional Response
- Your Dean will complete his/her review using the Dean's Evaluation & Recommendation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation. He or she will meet with you to discuss your evaluation by December 6. You will be given copies of your external review letters (as applicable) and the Dean’s evaluation. You will sign the Acknowledgement Statement for Contract Reappointment Evaluation during this meeting.
- Your Dean will complete his/her review and upload the Dean’s Evaluation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation to Interfolio RPT by December 13.
- You may elect to submit to the Provost an optional response regarding the Dean’s Evaluation. Faculty Affairs will send the you the Interfolio RPT link by which to submit the response after the Dean’s Office uploads the Dean’s Evaluation and the signed Acknowledgement Statement confirming the Dean has met with you to discuss the evaluation. Responses must be uploaded to Interfolio RPT within 7 calendar days from the date Faculty Affairs shares the evaluation with you.
The Provost will complete his/her review and provide a written decision by February 1. The Office of Faculty Affairs will share the Provost's Decision Letter with you via Interfolio RPT.
In the case of a negative recommendation from the Peer Review Committee or Dean, the Provost will convene the Reappointment Advisory Committee no later than January 22 to review the evaluation and act in an advisory capacity.