Candidate’s Guide to the Faculty Rank Promotion Process
This guide is intended to provide a Candidate for Faculty Rank Promotion a general overview of the process. All guidance documents and forms are listed in the sidebar to the left.
Before You Begin
- Attend a Faculty Rank Promotion informational workshop. Look for workshop announcements in your email and the My SA announcements.
- Talk to your dean about your intention to apply for faculty rank promotion. Make sure you start thinking about external reviewers that you and your dean can agree upon.
- Read the guidance documents and review the forms to understand what is expected of you.
- It may be helpful to add deadlines into your calendar.
What Guidance Documents Will Be Helpful?
- Procedures & Deadlines for Rank Promotion
- Packet Requirements for Rank Promotion
- Packet Checklist for Rank Promotion
- Procedure for Faculty Self-Evaluation for Rank Promotion
- Sample Self-Evaluations (contact your Faculty Rank Committee representative)
- Definitions & Sample Criteria for ESP Rank Promotion
- Guidelines for Reviewers of Rank Promotion Applications.
- External Review Guidelines for Candidates & Deans for Rank Promotion
- External Reviews FAQ
What Forms Are Required from the Candidate?
- Letter of Intent for Rank Promotion
- External Reviewer Nomination Form for Rank Promotion
- Application for Rank Promotion
Process and Deadlines
September 15: Deadline for Candidate to upload External Reviewer Nomination Form for Rank Promotion to Interfolio Review, Promotion & Tenure (RPT).
Detailed procedures and deadlines can be found in Procedures & Deadlines for Rank Promotion.
Rank Promotion Packet
- Faculty Affairs will initiate your case in Interfolio RPT after you submit your Letter of Intent. This is where you’ll upload your Rank Promotion Packet materials. You will receive an email from the Office of Faculty Affairs via the Interfolio platform that includes a link to “View Case” along with instructions for using Interfolio RPT once your case has been initiated.
- More information about preparing your Rank Promotion Packet can be found in Packet Requirements for Rank Promotion and the Packet Checklist for Rank Promotion. Be sure to read this – it provides specific details about your packet requirements. Of note, Procedures for Faculty Self-Evaluation for Rank Promotion and the sample evaluations are designed to help you write your self-evaluation and Engaged & Sustained Résumé. And it’s important to read because packets that don’t meet the requirements will be returned.
- Upload your Rank Promotion Packet to Interfolio RPT. The due date is October 1.
- Nominate your external reviewers. Complete the External Reviewer Nomination Form for Rank Promotion and submit it to your Dean by September 15. Your dean will use this to aid in the selection of external reviewers.
- More information about the external reviewer process (including how to choose an external reviewer, how many reviewers you need, the procedure for soliciting external reviews (the dean does it) and what happens to those letters) can be found in External Review Guidelines for Candidates & Deans for Rank Promotion. Another helpful document is the External Reviews FAQ.
- Your dean will work with you to select a minimum of 3 external reviewers. One will be from your External Reviewer Nomination Form. The second will be selected jointly by you and your Dean and may or may not be drawn from your Nomination Form. The Dean has discretion to select the final reviewer from your Nomination Form or select someone of his/her own choosing.
- Your Dean will send a letter to the approved external reviewers asking them to provide a review. If they agree, your Dean will send them the External Reviewer Evaluation for Rank Promotion. This form has links to the guidance documents Definitions & Sample Criteria for ESP Rank Promotion and Guidelines for Reviewers of Rank Promotion Applications. Your Dean will also send your packet materials using the Interfolio RPT platform.
- If you are using the same external reviewers for rank promotion that you used for contract reappointment evaluation, they will still need to complete the External Reviewer Evaluation for Rank Promotion but they will only be required to complete the scoring section. They may add additional comments but are not required to do so. Your Dean will send the same documents described above but rather than sending all of your dossier materials, he/she will send your Engaged & Sustained Resume and your Engaged & Sustained Narrative. In addition, the Dean will send the External Reviewer Evaluation for Contract Reappointment previously submitted by the external reviewer. The external reviewer has the option of requesting to see the entire dossier.
- Your external reviewers will upload the External Reviewer Evaluation for Rank Promotion to Interfolio RPT for the Dean’s review.
Peer Review Committee Evaluation
- Your Peer Review Committee will complete its review and upload the Peer Review Committee Evaluation for Rank Promotion to Interfolio RPT by December 15 for the Dean’s review.
- If you have questions about the Peer Review Committee process in your school/division, please contact your Office of the Dean.
Your Dean will complete his/her review and upload the Dean’s Evaluation for Rank Promotion to Interfolio RPT by February 1. The Dean will also upload the Final List of External Reviewers for Rank Promotion at the same time.
Faculty Rank Committee Review
The Faculty Rank Committee will review Rank Promotion Packets during February and March. Their recommendations will be uploaded to Interfolio RPT by March 31.
After the Faculty Rank Committee completes its review, your Packet will go to the Provost for review. The Provost will present his/her recommendations to the Board of Trustees at its last meeting of the academic year and the Board will vote on those rank promotion recommendations. See the Procedures & Deadlines for Rank Promotion document for specific dates.
Notification to Candidate
Once the Board of Trustees has voted, Faculty Affairs will send you a notification letter via email.