New Faculty Academy
New Faculty Academy
New Faculty Academy is a series of workshops over the course of the academic year. It is programmed and hosted by the Vice Provost of Academic Affairs.
The objectives of New Faculty Academy are threefold:
- To provide an institutional framework that assists new multi-year contract faculty members in acclimating to the culture and governing policies of UNCSA
- To introduce the group to important processes embedded in their success as faculty, including peer evaluation, contract reappointment, and rank promotion
- To acquaint new faculty members with campus systems available to them, in support of their teaching and creative activity
New Multi-Year Contract faculty are required to attend all sessions of the New Faculty Academy. Participation is considered professional development and is part of faculty service.
August 10 (Tuesday), 1-6 p.m. – New Faculty Orientation, Semans Arts and Administration Building (SAAB), 3rd Floor
- Initial meeting with short informational sessions including presentations from the Provost, Vice Provosts, and General Counsel, followed by a reception including key administrators and staff
September 22 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m., Campus Police Conference Room
- Campus Police session to address general services, emergencies, and A.L.I.C.E. training
October - individual midsemester assessments
- Faculty Support engagement with Jill Lane, Interim Director
November 17 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m., Library and Learning Commons
- Library session with Sarah Falls, University Librarian
January 12 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m., Teaching & Learning Center
- Backup date: January 26, 12:45-1:45 pm
- Faculty Affairs overview, with information about contract reappointment, faculty rank, and Interfolio; followed by individualized appointments with Kim Pauley, Director of Faculty Affairs
February 16 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 pm, location TBD (Kenan House or Creative CoWorks space)
- Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts
March 16 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m., Eisenberg Hall
- Wrap-up session
Note: Session topics and details are subject to change. All Wednesday sessions are projected to be held in the standing faculty meeting time of 12:45-1:45 p.m. to facilitate attendance of faculty from all UNCSA schools and departments.