New Faculty Academy
New Faculty Academy
New Faculty Academy is a series of workshops over the course of the academic year. It is programmed and hosted by the Vice Provost of Academic Affairs.
The objectives of New Faculty Academy are threefold:
- To provide an institutional framework that assists new multi-year contract faculty members in acclimating to the culture and governing policies of UNCSA
- To introduce the group to important processes embedded in their success as faculty, including peer evaluation, contract reappointment, and rank promotion
- To acquaint new faculty members with support systems including the Teaching and Learning Center and the Kenan Institute
New Multi-Year Contract faculty are required to attend all sessions of the New Faculty Academy. Participation is considered professional development and is part of faculty service.
- August 7 (Tuesday), 2:15-8 p.m. – New Faculty Orientation
- Initial meeting with short informational sessions from the Provost, Vice Provosts, General Counsel, and HR (Title IX) followed by a dinner including administrators
- September 12 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m.
- Campus Police session to address general services, emergencies, ALICE training, CLERY, Campus Police conference room
- October 10 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m.
- Kenan lunch, Creative Community Lab
- November 14 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m.
- Library session with new University Librarian/library staff
- January 9 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m.
- Faculty Affairs overview, with information about contract reappointment, faculty rank, and Interfolio
- Individual class/studio observations with Nancy Polk
- Each faculty member to schedule his/her own appointment for Nancy to observe teaching of a class, lesson, coaching, etc.
- March 20 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m.
- Wrap-up session
**Session topics and details are subject to change. All Wednesday sessions are projected to be held in the standing faculty meeting time of 12:45-1:45 p.m. to facilitate attendance of faculty from all UNCSA schools and departments.