F-1 Student Visa Compliance Requirements
As an international student, you are responsible for adhering to statutes associated with your F-1 student visa. Adhering to the requirements make you eligible for additional benefits after graduation. Failure to adhere to the regulations may result in dire consequences which jeopardizes your F-1 student visa status and may result in deportation and/or barred from entry into the U.S.
- Ensure UNCSA is listed on your I-20 and check in with one of the Designated School Officials within 15 days of arrival onto campus.
- If you are a transfer student from another U.S. institution, coordinate a transfer date with your international advisor and have your SEVIS records transferred within five (5) months of program end date.
- Enroll full-time each semester for the duration of your program:
Undergraduate students - minimum of 12 credit hours.
Graduate students - minimum of 9 credit hours.
- Remain in good academic standing and make normal progress towards degree completion.
- Maintain health insurance coverage.
- Ensure your passport is valid six months beyond your program end date.
- Notify one of the Designated School Officials of any address changes within 10 days of moving. Be sure to also submit an address change form to the Registrar’s Office.
Reduced Course Load
There are exceptions to full-time enrollment. Before dropping below full-time, please discuss your decision with one of the international advisors. Please note, audited courses do not count toward full-time enrollment.
- If you need to extend your program due to unforeseen circumstances, contact your DSO to extend your program end date before the date listed on your I-20.
- If you desire to continue at another educational level, contact your DSO for a change of level within 5 months of program end date. By doing so, you are able to preserve your SEVIS record, SEVIS payment, and SEVIS history.
Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Process
Students requesting a leave of absence or withdrawal from UNCSA should adhere to the following:
- Consult with your art school advisor to develop an academic plan and complete all required departmental paperwork.
- Consult with your international advisor for guidance.
- Complete the withdrawal form on the Office of the Registrar’s webpage.