Parents & Families
UNCSA Parent Support Organization (PSO)
The Parent Support Organization (PSO) provides opportunities for parents to stay engaged in and contribute to the high school program. The PSO was started in 2009 by a handful of committed parents, and it continues today to invest in both resources and relationships that support the mission of the high school. Through your generous donations, we are able to mitigate the effects of chronic budget cuts as well as create tools and occasions for parents to stay connected with one another.
August 15, 2019 - PSO Parent Breakfast during Orientation from 7:30-8:50 a.m. in Eisenberg Social Hall on the ground-level of Hanes Student Commons. The event is geared for parents. Students and siblings are welcome to join.
Coffee Talk webcasts - Throughout the fall we offer a forum to ask questions both in person and online. See guest speakers schedule and past live streams.
October - PSO meeting during Family Weekend, which is Oct. 25-27, 2019.
December - PSO will be running the Nutcracker Boutique again in December. You will be receiving information about how you can participate in this fun fundraising event.
How to be informed
Our UNCSA High School PSO Facebook page keeps parents informed about events on campus and provide updates on PSO activities. Parents can post on this forum to organize carpools, request help, or ask questions that other parents can answer.
How to be involved (even if you live out of town)
Here are some ways you can get involved as a parent or family member:
Attend our PSO meetings. We have a PSO meeting during Parents Weekend in October. It is a short informational meeting about our budget and the needs of the high school. We hope to include as many parents as possible who are in town for the weekend.
Volunteer. We recognize that it is difficult for parents to volunteer that live far away. We have an annual slate of officers if you would like to get involved as well as positions for Hospitality, Parent Directory and Social Media. We send out requests to all parents for volunteers to staff our Nutcracker Boutique at the Stevens Center during the Nutcracker Ballet, as well as requests for desserts and other items for teacher luncheons during exam week.
Participate online in the closed group UNCSA High School PSO Facebook page. It is a great way to stay connected to your student and events at the high school. Only parents of current students are invited to join this group.
Donate to the PSO. See "What we've done" section of this page to learn how donations are used.
Note: If you are having trouble viewing the PDF in your browser, please save the PDF to your computer and then open it in Adobe Acrobat.
Shop. Harris Teeter grocery stores offers a Together in Education program that donates money when you link your VIC rewards card to UNCSA School Code 4682
What we've done
Some of the accomplishments of the PSO include:
- Purchase 30 Chromebooks for classroom
- Contribute to summer training course for our teachers
- Conversion of a computer lab to a fully furnished classroom
- Establishment of the $25,000 Jill Lane Endowed Scholarship Fund (awards $1,000 annual scholarship)
- Annual funding of the Prized Pickle Scholarship - $1,000
- New parent hospitality event during orientation weekend
- Facilitated conversion of lecture hall to fully furnished classroom
- Established a graduation gift tradition for each senior
- Purchased eight classroom response systems for teachers
- Purchased science and social studies equipment
- Provided maintenance and refurbishment of science equipment and laptops
- Funded half the cost of security cameras on the high school hallway
- Purchased and continued maintenance of printers for student use
- Organized the UNCSA High School PSO Facebook page