Parents & Families
UNCSA Parent Support Organization (PSO)
The Parent Support Organization (PSO) provides opportunities for parents to stay engaged in and contribute to the high school program. The PSO was started in 2009 by a handful of committed parents, and it continues today to invest in both resources and relationships that support the mission of the high school. Through your generous donations, we are able to mitigate the effects of chronic budget cuts as well as create tools and occasions for parents to stay connected with one another.
Coffee Talk Meeting
The first "Coffee Talk" for parents was Tuesday, Sept. 5. Coffee Talk is a forum to ask questions both online and in person. This meeting's speakers included Dean Martin Ferrell, Associate Dean Brock Snyder, Canvas Faculty Support Rich Holland and Information Technology representative Tamar Pandi. Watch the Coffee Talk and tell us what you think of this forum by emailing Mitsy McNeil or posting on the PSO Facebook group.
Friday, August 11 - PSO Parent Breakfast during Orientation from 7:30-9 a.m. in Eisenberg Social Hall on the ground-level of Hanes Student Commons. The event is geared for parents. Students and siblings are welcome to join.
Friday, October 20 - PSO meeting during Family Weekend.
December 8-17 - PSO will be running the Nutcracker Boutique again in December. You will be receiving information about how you can participate in this fun fundraising event.
What we've done
Some of the accomplishments of the PSO include:
- Purchase 30 Chromebooks for classroom
- Contribute to summer training course for our teachers
- Conversion of a computer lab to a fully furnished classroom
- Establishment of the $25,000 Jill Lane Endowed Scholarship Fund (awards $1,000 annual scholarship)
- Annual funding of the Prized Pickle Scholarship - $1,000
- New parent hospitality event during orientation weekend
- Facilitated conversion of lecture hall to fully furnished classroom
- Established a graduation gift tradition for each senior
- Purchased eight classroom response systems for teachers
- Purchased science and social studies equipment
- Provided maintenance and refurbishment of science equipment and laptops
- Funded half the cost of security cameras on the high school hallway
- Purchased and continued maintenance of printers for student use
- Organized the UNCSA High School PSO Facebook page
How to be informed
Our UNCSA High School PSO Facebook page keeps parents informed about events on campus and provide updates on PSO activities. Parents can post on this forum to organize carpools, request help, or ask questions that other parents can answer.
How to be involved (even if you live out of town)
Here are some ways you can get involved as a parent or family member:
Join the PSO. You can join by signing up and donating your membership to the PSO.
- Join the PSO will take you to UNCSA donation page.
- Specify a tax-deductible amount you wish to donate and if it will be a one-time gift or an amount you wish to spread over a monthly periods.
- Choose Designation as “Other” and specify High School PSO for your donation.
Attend our PSO meetings. We have a PSO meeting during Parents Weekend in October. It is a short informational meeting about our budget and the needs of the high school. We hope to include as many parents as possible who are in town for the weekend.
Volunteer. We recognize that it is difficult for parents to volunteer that live far away. We have an annual slate of officers if you would like to get involved as well as positions for Hospitality, Parent Directory and Social Media. We send out requests to all parents for volunteers to staff our Nutcracker Boutique at the Stevens Center during the Nutcracker Ballet, as well as requests for desserts and other items for teacher luncheons during exam week.
Participate online in the closed group UNCSA High School PSO Facebook page. It is a great way to stay connected to your student and events at the high school. Only parents of current students are invited to join this group.
Shop. Harris Teeter grocery stores offers a Together in Education program that donates money when you link your VIC rewards card to UNCSA School Code 4682
Best wishes for a successful school year! Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
UNCSA PSO Chair
- PSO Membership form
- High School PSO By-Laws
- PSO Budget 2017-2018
- PSO Budget 2016-2017
- PSO Budget 2015-2016