UNCSA Together - Community health standards
Updated: Aug. 6, 2020 with Community Health Standards video
Everyone at UNCSA must commit to the actions and precautions we can take as individuals
to protect our campus community. It will require all of us together to keep our community
healthy. We expect all faculty and staff to show care for their colleagues by adhering
to the following guidelines.
Jenna Cusack, SGA Vice President, demonstrates community health standards to ensure
we keep ourselves and others safe this year.
Everyone on campus is required to wear a mask or face covering at all times with a limited number of exceptions (see guidance for specific workplace scenarios).
If wearing a mask impedes your job, then extra protective precautions will need to
be taken. UNCSA will provide masks to everyone on campus. You are also permitted to
supply your own masks or face coverings, as long as they comply with the UNCSA standards:
- Face coverings or masks should cover your nose and mouth and be secured to the head.
They should have two or more layers and be tight-fitting.
- A face covering must be worn at all times indoor and outside on campus with the following
- When you are alone in your office.
- Temporarily, when eating and drinking.
- When you are alone in your vehicle.
- When you are outside with no person within 6-feet, although you must carry your face
covering in case others enter the space.
- Cloth face coverings with one-way valves are prohibited for use on campus.
- Bandannas and scarfs are not considered acceptable face coverings.
- Continued or repeated refusal to wear a face covering from any faculty, staff or student
will not be tolerated and will result in disciplinary action.
- Remember to wash your hands before putting on and taking off your mask or face coverings.
Only handle your mask by the ear loops. Take care not to touch the front of your mask
or face covering.
- Store cloth masks or face coverings in a paper bag in-between use throughout the day
and launder daily.
- Face shields must be combined with masks.
We expect everyone to follow institutional guidelines on social distancing at all
times unless otherwise officially warranted by your job; then, extra protective precautions
will need to be taken. These guidelines include:
- Following posted maximum space capacity signs where applicable.
- Staying at least 6 feet from other people at all times.
- Not planning large in-person gatherings.
- Staying out of crowded places and avoiding mass gatherings.
Hand Hygiene and Regular Sanitation
We expect everyone to wash hands frequently throughout each day (at least 20 seconds with soap and water) and to use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. UNCSA will be creating
more opportunities for hand hygiene on campus.
You will be responsible for wiping down high-touch surfaces before and after use.
(e.g., copiers, printers, computers, phones, A/V and other electrical equipment, coffee
makers, microwaves, desks and tables, light switches, doorknobs, etc.). Wipes and
hand sanitizer will be available across campus.
Daily Screening Requirement
All faculty, staff and students will be required to perform a daily COVID-19 self-screening. The daily screening will assess:
Presence of COVID-19 related symptoms not related to another medical condition:
- Fever of 100 or higher or chills
- Cough or sore throat
- New or increased shortness of breath
- Congestion or runny nose
- Decreased sense of smell or taste
- Muscle aches
- GI symptoms (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea)
- Diagnosis of COVID-19 or close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Contacted by a pubLic health or healthcare professional about possible exposuRE to
- Cared for someone who is/was symptomatic of COVID-19.