Management Flexibility Policy #617
|Policy #617||Approved: July 9, 2014|
|UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
Management Flexibility Policy
|Source of Authority:||UNC Office of the President;
UNC Code Appendix I
UNC Policy Manual § 600.3.4
|Revision Authority:||Board of Trustees|
|History:||First Issued: February 17, 2011
Revised: June 26, 2012; September 20, 2012, July 9, 2014
|Related Policies:||Conflicts of Interest (Employees) Policy #603;
EPA Recruitment Policy #609;
Employment of Related Persons #608;
Grievance (SAAO-II & Other EPA) Policy #614;
SAAO-II & Other EPA Employment Terms & Conditions Policy # 625
|Effective Date:||July 9, 2014|
This policy is to formalize the Chancellor’s delegated authority with respect to the appointment and compensation of certain academic and administrative personnel.
This policy applies all personnel appointments, promotions, discipline, separations, and compensation actions involving UNCSA positions exempt from the State Personnel Act.
A. Pursuant to this policy, the UNCSA Board of Trustees delegates to the Chancellor the authority for personnel appointments, promotions and compensation decisions for faculty, other professionals exempt from the State Personnel Act (“EPA”) as defined in UNC Policy § 300.2.1, Deans and other Senior Academic and Administrative Officers as defined in UNC Policy § 300.1.1 Article I.A (SAAO I) in positions for which the Board of Governors does not establish salary ranges, and all Senior Academic and Administrative Officers as defined in UNC Policy § 1.1 Article I.B (SAAO II). All of these positions are exempt from the State Personnel Act (EPA).
B. The UNCSA Board of Trustees retains authority to approve all faculty rank appointments.
C. The Chancellor retains the authority to appoint or reappoint Deans and other Senior Academic and Administrative Officers as defined by UNC Policy 300.1.1, I.B. (SAAO I) in positions for which the Board of Governors does not establish salary ranges.
D. Chancellor’s Delegation of Authority to Appoint, Reappoint, or Promote EPA Personnel and to Approve Compensation
1. For all positions within the Provost’s division, the Chancellor delegates to the Provost authority concerning promotions, appointment, appointment with rank, and reappointment to the following positions: regular and special faculty (including EPA instructional and EPA research), department heads, SAAO IIs, part-time and temporary.
2. Within their respective divisions, the Chancellor delegates to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration and Chief Advancement Officer authority concerning promotions, appointment, and reappointment to the following positions: department heads, SAAO IIs, part-time, and temporary.
3. Subject to provisions and directives of the UNC Code, the Chancellor may delegate final approval authority for initial compensation, salary increases which are both a.) less than $10,000 and b.) less than 15 % of the previous June 30th salary, and temporary stipends/supplements as follows:
a. To the Provost concerning all positions listed in C.1.
b. To the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration & Chief Advancement Officer concerning all positions listed in C.2.
E. Personnel Actions Requiring Board of Governors Approval
1. Salary increases where the increase is at least $10,000 and 15% above the previous June 30thsalary;
2. Chancellor appointments, salary increases, and temporary stipends/supplements;
3. Appointments to an endowed position on the faculty when the Board of Governors’ Distinguished Professors Endowed Trust Fund funds the position; AND
4. Salary increases that cause salaries to exceed the salary ranges established by the Board of Governors.
F. Notification to Employees of EPA Personal Actions
1. The Chancellor will provide written notification to affected employees for personnel actions requiring Board of Governors’ approval.
2. Written notifications of other personnel actions will be sent to employees by the administrative officer having the final approval authority for the personnel actions.
G. Annual Report
The Chancellor will provide at least annually to the Board of Trustees an appropriate summary of personnel actions taken under this delegation of authority for the then current academic year.
V. Revision History
A. February 17, 2011 – Adopted by Board of Trustees as part of UNCSA Policy Manual
B. October 6, 2012 – Revised to include updated Management Flexibility Plan
C. July 9, 2014 – Revised to allow for delegation of authority to other administrators, including the authority to assign rank in consultation with the Rank Committee.