Steps for Accommodations for College Students
To ensure the provision of reasonable and appropriate accommodations, all undergraduate and graduate students requesting accommodations in the academic or living environment on campus must submit documentation which meets the university’s guidelines. Documentation of a disability is evaluated on a case-by-case basis and approved through the Office of Learning Resources. All documentation is to be submitted to:
Office of Learning Resources
1533 South Main Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27127-2738
- Documentation must validate the presence of a disability as noted under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA; ADAAA).
- Documentation also must provide sufficient information for the provision of reasonable accommodations and services based upon the current impact of the student's disability in either the academic or living environment on campus. There are several ways to provide documentation of a disability:
- A detailed evaluation or diagnostic report/letter signed and presented on letterhead may be completed by a treating or diagnosing healthcare professional who is qualified to render the treatment/diagnosis.
- Or when applicable, students may also choose to use one of our various fill-in-the-blank forms, completed by their physician.
3. Use the appropriate documentation for the given diagnoses:
4. After documentation has been submitted to the office of Learning Resources, it will be reviewed and determinations will be made based on current findings and recommendations.
5. A representative of the office of Learning Resources will contact the student via email within 48 hours. If the student is eligible for Accessibility Resources, a request will be made for the student to schedule an intake session to review the determination and discuss any eligible accommodations.
6. Once the student has attended the intake session the student will be provided with an accommodations letter. The student will need to meet with each of their faculty, discuss their eligible accommodations requests and how they will be implemented in the classroom.
7. If there is a change or additional request for accommodations during the student's academic career please resubmit updated documentation to the office of Learning Resources to support any such requests.