External Professional Activities for Pay
In accordance with the Board of Governors’ policy on Conflicts of Interest and Commitment Affecting Faculty and Non‐Faculty EPA Employees (UNC Policy Manual, 300.2.2), University personnel sometimes may engage in compensated activities that are not a part of University employment.
UNC Policy requires deans, faculty, and EPA‐NT staff to file a Notice of Intent to Engage in External Professional Activities for Pay whenever compensated either by pay or honoraria for activities that are not a part of University employment. This applies to both new and ongoing activities. Faculty do not have to submit Intent to Engage for work during the summer if they are not otherwise engaged by UNCSA during the summer.
The External Professional Activities form should be filed no less than 10 days prior to engaging in the activity. In the case of ongoing activities, the form should be filed at the start of each fiscal year (July 1).
Campuses are required to file an annual report to the UNC Office of the President using data collected from the Notice of Intent to Engage in External Professional Activities for Pay forms.
- Regulations for Senior Academic and Administrative Officers on External Professional Activities for Pay and Honoraria, The UNC Policy Manual, 300.2.2.[R]
- UNCSA External Professional Activities for Pay Policy #610
The form captures the information reported to the Office of the President. It is important that form be completed properly so that accurate data is reported. All questions must be completed. Tips for some of the questions often answered incorrectly are:
- Question #3 – Include a start date and an end date. If dates are tentative, use a best estimate. If the activity is ongoing with no end date, indicate “ongoing”.
- Question #4a – EPA‐NT & Deans enter the number of hours per week here. Do not enter the number of hours per term or per year – only per week.
- Question #4b –Faculty enter the number of hours per week per term here.
- Question #5 – Total the hours and enter the total here.
- Question #6 – If no duties will be missed, note accordingly.
- Questions #9a, #9b – Complete only if the contracting organization is private.
- Question #10 – The form must be signed by the employee. Include the department and job title.
Completes Notice of Intent to Engage in External Professional Activities for Pay form and submits to dean/supervisor. Deans & Provost Direct Reports should submit to Faculty Affairs for Provost signature.
Reviews form for compliance with University policy.
If the supervisor determines the activity to be consistent with University policy, the supervisor signs in Section 1 of the Administration Action of Notice of Intent. The employee may engage in the activity.
If the supervisor determines the activity to be inconsistent with University policy, the supervisor signs in Section 2 of the Administration Action of Notice of Intent. The employee may not engage in the activity pending further action on appeal.
Sends the original form to Faculty Affairs for inclusion in the employee’s file. If the answer to Question #8, #9a, or #9b is affirmative, Faculty Affairs will route it to the Provost for review and signature.
Updated June 9, 2015