Contract Reappointment Evaluation
This guide is intended to provide a Candidate for Contract Reappointment Evaluation a general overview of the process. Links to guidance documents and forms are included. Detailed information can be found in those guidance documents and forms.
What Guidance Documents Will Be Helpful?
This is a list of guidance documents that will be helpful to the Candidate specifically. Please see the Contract Reappointment Evaluation section of the Faculty Affairs web page for all of our guidance documents.
- Process & Deadlines for Contract Reappointment Evaluation
- Dossier Requirements for Contract Reappointment Evaluation
- External Review Guidelines for Candidates & Deans for Contract Reappointment Evaluation*
- External Reviews FAQ*
- UNCSA Faculty Manual (see Section 8.1)
*External review is required only for multi-year contract faculty undergoing Contract Reappointment Evaluation for 5-year and 10-year contracts).
Process & Deadlines
- September 15: Deadline for Candidate to upload External Reviewer Nomination Form for Contract Reappointment Evaluation (for 5-year and 10-year contract reappointment evaluations only) to Interfolio ByCommittee.
- October 1: Deadline for Candidate to upload Contract Reappointment Evaluation Dossier to Interfolio ByCommittee.
Use Process & Deadlines for Contract Reappointment Evaluation to keep track of deadlines and to get step-by-step instructions for the Contract Reappointment Evaluation process.
Contract Reappointment Evaluation Dossier
- The Office of Faculty Affairs will initiate a Contract Reappointment Evaluation case for you in Interfolio ByCommittee over the summer. This is where you’ll upload all of your Contract Reappointment Evaluation Dossier materials. You will receive an email from the Office of Faculty Affairs with a link to “View Case” along with instructions for using Interfolio ByCommittee once your case has been initiated.
- More information about preparing your Contract Reappointment Evaluation Dossier can be found in Dossier Requirements for Contract Reappointment Evaluation. Be sure to read this – it provides details about what you need to put in your Dossier and how things need to be formatted. And it’s important to read because Dossiers that don’t meet the requirements will be returned.
- Submit your Contract Reappointment Evaluation Dossier by uploading your materials
to Interfolio ByCommittee. The due date is October 1.
- You will maintain read-only access to your dossier after the due date. At that point, you will no longer be able to add or edit dossier materials except in the “Candidate Additional Supplemental Materials” section. However, you will retain access to view your dossier at any time during the Contract Reappointment Evaluation process. As a reminder, materials submitted after a stated dossier submission deadline does not affect subsequent deadlines and does not cause any evaluator/reviewer to be obligated to re-evaluate a Candidate.
- Faculty undergoing Contract Reappointment Evaluation for a 5-year or 10-year contract must undergo evaluation by an external reviewer as part of the process. Salary-scale system faculty are exempt from the external review requirement.
- More information about the external reviewer process (including how to choose an external reviewer, how many reviewers you need, the procedure for soliciting external reviews (the dean does it) and what happens to those letters) can be found in External Reviews FAQ and Guidelines for External Reviews for Contract Reappointment Evaluation.
- You’ll need to nominate your external reviewers by September 15. Complete the External Reviewer Nomination Form for Contract Reappointment Evaluation and upload it to Interfolio ByCommittee by that date. Your dean will use this to aid in the selection of external reviewers.
- Your dean will work with you to select a minimum of 3 external reviewers. One will be from your External Reviewer Nomination Form. The second will be selected jointly by you and your Dean and may or may not be drawn from your Nomination Form. The Dean has discretion to select the final reviewer from your Nomination Form or select someone of his/her own choosing.
- Your Dean will send a letter to the approved external reviewers asking them to provide
a review. If they agree, your Dean will send them the External Reviewer Evaluation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation along with your dossier materials.
- Your external reviewers will upload the External Reviewer Evaluation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation to Interfolio ByCommittee
Peer Review Committee Evaluation
- Your Peer Review Committee will complete its review and submit the Peer Review Committee Evaluation & Recommendation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation to Interfolio ByCommittee by December 15 for the Dean’s review. The Dean will meet with the Peer Review Committee to discuss its evaluation and recommendation by January 15.
- If you have questions about the Peer Review Committee process in your school/division, please contact your Office of the Dean.
Your Dean will complete his/her review and complete the Dean's Evaluation & Recommendation for Contract Reappointment Evaluation. He or she will meet with you to discuss your evaluation by February 10.
After meeting with you, he/she will upload the evaluation, Acknowledgement Statement for Contract Reappointment Evaluation, and the Final List of External Reviewers for Contract Reappointment Evaluation to Interfolio ByCommittee by February 15 for Provost review.
The Provost will complete his/her review and provide a written decision by May 3.
In the case of a negative recommendation from the Peer Review Committee or Dean, the Provost will convene the Reappointment Advisory Committee no later than April 1 to review the evaluation and act in an advisory capacity.