Secondary Employment Policy #626
|Policy #626||Approved: February 17, 2011|
|UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
Secondary Employment Policy
|Source of Authority:||Office of State Personnel Manual § 3, p. 24|
|Revision Authority:||Board of Trustees|
|History:||First Issued: February 17, 2011|
|Related Policies:||Secondary Employment, OSP Manual § 3, p. 24;
Additional Employment Policy #601;
Conflicts of Interest (Employees) Policy #603;
Dual Employment Policy #606;
External Activities for Pay Policy #610;
Improper Activities Reporting Policy #114;
Occasional or Sporadic Employment Policy #621;
|Responsible Offices:||Human Resources Department|
|Effective Date:||February 17, 2011|
This policy is to effectuate Office of State Personnel policy regarding secondary employment and the possibility of a conflict of commitment which arise from this secondary employment.
This policy applies to all SPA UNCSA employees.
A. “Secondary Employment” means any employment which an SPA UNCSA employee chooses to engage in beyond his/her UNCSA employment.
A. Permissibility. Secondary employment will not be permitted if it would either:
1. create, directly or indirectly, a conflict of interest with the employee’s UNCSA employment; OR
2. adversely impact, in any way, the employee’s ability to perform all of the employee’s expected duties, to make decisions, and carry out in an objective fashion the responsibilities of the employee’s UNCSA employment.
B. Employee Responsibilities
1. UNCSA employees’ primary employment responsibilities are the employees’ primary employment responsibilities for full-time employees.
2. Employees must complete a Secondary Employment Form for all employment outside their UNCSA employment that is not covered by UNCSA’s Dual Employment Policy.
3. The employee must have UNCSA’s written approval to commence the secondary employment.
4. Employees must update and file a Secondary Employment Form annually by July 1.
5. Employees must update their current Secondary Employment Form throughout the year in the event that the information contained thereon has changed.
1. All secondary employment must be approved in advance by the employee’s immediate supervisor, department head (if applicable), and the Provost/CFO.
2. In the event that the secondary employment has any impact on or may create any possibility of conflict with State operations, the form must be approved by the State Personnel Director in conjunction with the North Carolina State Ethics Commission.
D. Withdrawal. Authorization for secondary employment may be withdrawn by the Provost/CFO at any time if the Provost/CFO determines that the secondary employment has an adverse impact on the employee’s UNCSA employment.
E. Discipline. Violation of this policy, or failure to submit accurate information on the Secondary Employment Form, may subject an employee to disciplinary action, but to and including termination.
V. Revision History
A. February 17, 2011 – Adopted by Board of Trustees as part of UNCSA Policy Manual