Classical Ballet Intensive
Classical Ballet Intensive
The Classical Ballet Intensive is a five-week program focusing on the very particular demands of the Ballet profession while providing cross-disciplinary training to meet the versatility expectations required by the today’s classical ballet companies. The program provides a highly focused and extensive pre-professional experience for intermediate and advanced dancers ages 12–18.
|Classical Ballet Intensive||June 18 – July 22, 2017|
Our goal is to provide the highest level of professional training to encourage each student’s fullest technical and artistic development. The Classical Ballet curriculum is designed to establish a precise and clear ballet foundation for younger dancers, while gearing more experienced dancers toward technical proficiency, strength, classical variations and versatility. Emphasis will be placed on daily Ballet Technique, Pointe, Pas de Deux, Men’s Class, Character, Contemporary Technique, Classical and Contemporary Ballet Repertory with master classes offered in Jazz, Musical Theater, Hip Hop and Acting. All classes and master classes will be taught by UNCSA faculty and distinguished guest artists.
The Intensive will culminate in a fully produced concert at the Stevens Center. All dancers will have the opportunity to perform repertory choreographed by either UNCSA Summer Dance distinguished faculty or professional emerging choreographers selected from our Choreographic Institute.
If you wish to be considered for admission to the Classical Ballet Intensive you must audition either in-person on one of the dates listed below, or by video audition via e-mailed link. Should inclement weather prohibit travel, UNCSA reserves the right to cancel and will reschedule auditions. Please check our website to determine if an audition has been canceled.
Live Audition Requirements
- No preregistration necessary. All audition forms will be filled out at the live audition.
- $30 audition fee for live auditions only. Please make checks out to UNCSA or bring exact cash.
- One full body photo, in dancewear, enface, arms in second position, tendue in second position.
- For ladies: black leotard with pink convertible tights so that bare feet can be worn for the Contemporary portion of the audition; pink ballet shoes, and pink pointe shoes.
- For men: dance belt, black convertible tights so that bare feet can be worn for the Contemporary portion of the audition; white T-shirt tucked in, black ballet shoes.
Video Email Audition Requirments
Please provide all requested information below by email to Catherine Miller at UNCSAsummerdance@gmail.com. Video auditions will open January 1, 2017, and close March 25, 2017. We encourage you to send video submission early. No fee required.
- Student's name, date of birth, mailing address, email address and phone number
- Please denote auditioning for Classical Ballet Intensive Audition
- Link to online video
- Applicants should wear recommended attire (see audition live audition requirements above)
- Applicants must be 12 years old by June 18, 2017
Video Email Audition Must Include
- Plié in 1st and 2nd positions, tendu/dégagé (straight and with plié from fifth), rond de jambe, passé développé (front, side, and back), grand battement and a balance on one leg. Movements should be short, but should demonstrate clarity of form and all together should not exceed five minutes.
- In addition, three phrases that travel across the floor: one demonstrating balance and use of space, one demonstrating chaine and pique turns and one demonstrating grand jeté.
- Female applicants, or those who are interested in taking pointe classes, must also demonstrate en pointe the following steps, which for younger dancers can be performed at barre: Sous-sous, echappé, passé, bourrée, single pirouettes and pique turns.
Results of both in-person and live auditions will be sent via email. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your audition, please contact Catherine Miller at UNCSAsummerdance@gmail.com or call (336) 734-2848 to inquire about the results of your audition. Due to high volume of audition participation, individual feedback from auditions cannot be given.
Policies and Required Documents
Download policies and required documents for the Classical Ballet Summer Intensive here: