Contemporary Dance Intensive
Contemporary Dance Intensive
|Registration for the Summer 2017 Contemporary Dance Intensive is closed. Program information and audition instructions for the Summer 2018 program will be released in November 2017 and registration will open in January 2018.|
The Contemporary Dance Intensive is a five-week program focusing on cross-disciplinary dance training that is designed to reflect the needs of today’s professional dance world. The program provides a highly focused and extensive pre-professional experience for intermediate and advanced dancers ages 12-18.
|Contemporary Dance Intensive||June 18 – July 22, 2017|
Our goal is to provide the highest level of professional training to encourage each student’s fullest technical and artistic development. Emphasis will be placed on daily classes in Contemporary Technique and Classical Ballet while offering exposure to a variety of dance forms to optimize strength, versatility and creativity. Additional weekly classes include Contemporary Partnering, Composition, Phrase Work, Improvisation, Somatics and Contemporary Repertory with master classes offered in Jazz, Musical Theatre, Hip Hop and Acting. Pointe class will be offered by audition only to qualified dancers. All classes and master classes will be taught by UNCSA faculty and distinguished guest artists.
The Intensive will culminate in a fully-produced concert at the Stevens Center. All dancers will have the opportunity to perform repertory choreographed by either UNCSA Summer Dance distinguished faculty or professional emerging choreographers selected from our Choreographic Institute.
If you wish to be considered for admission to the Contemporary Dance Intensive you must audition either in-person (dates and locations announced in the fall), or by video audition via e-mailed link. Should inclement weather prohibit travel, UNCSA reserves the right to cancel and will reschedule auditions.
Live Audition Requirements
- No preregistration necessary. All audition forms will be filled out at the live audition.
- $30 audition fee for live auditions only. Please make checks out to UNCSA or bring exact cash.
- One full body photo, in dancewear, enface, arms in second position, tendue in second position.
- For ladies: black leotard with pink convertible tights so that bare feet can be worn for the Contemporary portion of the audition; pink ballet shoes
- For men: dance belt, black convertible tights so that bare feet can be worn for the Contemporary portion of the audition; white T-shirt tucked in, black ballet shoes
Video Email Audition Requirements
Please provide all requested information below by email to Catherine Miller at UNCSAsummerdance@gmail.com. Video auditions will open January 1, 2017, and close April 15, 2017. We encourage you to send video submission early. No fee required.
- Student's name, date of birth, mailing address, email address and phone number
- Please denote auditioning for Contemporary Dance Audition
- Link to online video
- Applicants should wear recommended attire (see audition live audition requirements above)
- Applicants must be 12 years old by June 18, 2017
Video Email Audition Must Include
- At Barre: Plié in 1st and 2nd positions, tendu/dégagé (straight and with plié from fifth), rond de jambe, passé développé (front, side, and back), grand battement, and a balance on one leg. Movements should be short, but should demonstrate clarity of form and all together should not exceed five minutes.
- In addition: three phrases that travel across the floor: one demonstrating use of space, one demonstrating chaine and pique turns and one demonstrating grand jeté.
Results of both in-person and live auditions will be sent via email. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your audition, please contact Catherine Miller at UNCSAsummerdance@gmail.com or call (336) 734-2848 to inquire about the results of your audition. Due to high volume of audition participation, individual feedback from auditions cannot be given.
Policies & Required Documents
Download policies and required documents for the Contemporary Dance Summer Intensive here: