Office of the Registrar

Graduate BulletinOffice of the Registrar



Registration takes place online through E-Z Arts at designated times during the year. All graduate students must register at the appointed time and show evidence of payment of tuition and fees prior to attending classes. Students will not be granted entry to classes without having completed registration. New students will receive instructions regarding registration, orientation and placement testing during the summer before their arrival at the School.

Academic Calendar

The academic calendar is divided into two semesters, Fall and Spring. Prior to Fall 2011, the academic year was divided into three terms.

Class Designation

A student’s classification is officially determined on the basis of progress in the major arts area. Level designations are, therefore, based upon a combination of the number of arts course requirements which have been met and the level of artistic proficiency that has been achieved. Designations are G1 for first-year graduate, G2 for second-year graduate, G3 for third-year graduate.  The artist certificate are classified at P1.

Credit Definitions

Graduate credit is awarded in semester hours.

Course Numbering

UNCSA has changed to a 4-digit numbering system. 3-digit courses that continue to be offered have been renumbered with a 4-digit number. A chart showing the 4-digit equivalents is available in the Office of The Registrar. In most instances, courses are numbered by level:

0000-0999 – High School Courses
1000-1999 – Intended primarily for first-year undergraduates
2000-2999 – Intended primarily for second-year undergraduates
3000-3999 – Intended primarily for third-year undergraduates
4000-4999 – Intended primarily for fourth-year undergraduates
5000-5999 – Courses for which it is likely that undergraduate and graduate students would enroll
6000-6999 – Graduate level course work in a degree program
7000-8999 – Advanced graduate-level coursework

Course Requirements

It is the responsibility of the student to know the requirements for his or her particular program. Individual program requirements are outlined in the appropriate sections of this Bulletin.

Independent Study

Only full-time faculty members may offer independent study courses. Exceptions may be made to allow for adjunct faculty to supervise an independent study with prior approval from the relevant Dean and Provost. Each faculty member may supervise up to three (3) students per semester or summer session. The Dean or designee of the appropriate Art School or Division of Liberal Arts may approve an exception to the limit for a compelling reason.

Residency Requirements

Graduate residency requirements are determined by the individual Art Schools. Please confer with the Art School Dean and handbook for additional information. All graduate students must carry at least nine credit hours per semester to be classified as a full-time student.

Transfer Students

Graduate transfer students will be placed according to ability and experience at the discretion of the appropriate dean and faculty following review of prior courses and interviews with faculty members. Where applicable, placement tests will be administered and appropriate advanced institutional credit is awarded.

Part-time Degree Students

Under certain circumstances, a matriculated graduate student may enroll as a part-time student for a given semester. This status is only granted by special permission of the appropriate dean, at his or her discretion. Part-time graduate students may carry fewer than nine credits and are charged by the credit, according to the schedule of fees for special and part-time students. Students who have been granted part-time status must submit the appropriate form to the Office of the Registrar.

Course Audit

A regularly registered student may, with the consent of the appropriate dean and the instructor, audit one or more courses outside the major area in addition to his or her regular program. Attendance must be regular. Students may not audit a class without being registered by the appropriate Arts School. No credit is given.  Students will be charged the prevailing per-credit tuition amount.

Course Planning and Program Advising

Each student is assigned an advisor when he or she enters the School. The advising system varies from one arts school to another. In some schools the dean or assistant dean acts as the student advisor; in others, members of the faculty are assigned as advisors.

Students meet with their advisors during designated weeks at the midpoint of each semester to plan their programs for the following semester. The courses each student selects must be approved by the advisor.

Add/Drop and Course Withdrawal

Students may add or drop courses during the first week of classes. Changes during this week do not appear on the student’s permanent record. Students who have cleared all holds and wish to add or drop courses during this period shall do so via the EZ Arts web portal. Beginning with the second week of classes, students must officially "withdraw" from a course. Unlike dropped courses, withdrawn courses remain on the student’s class schedule and will appear on the transcript with a letter grade of "W." Students are advised to withdraw from courses when successful completion appears impossible. Although "W" grades do not impact a student’s GPA, they do count in attempted hours.

Students have through the seventh week of classes to withdraw from courses by using the Course Withdrawal form, available via the Office of the Registrar web site. Course withdrawal without processing the appropriate form will result in an automatic grade of “F” for the course.


Students are expected to attend all their class meetings, rehearsals and performances, and to arrive on time, prepared to participate fully. Attendance regulations for each program and for individual courses within the program are communicated to students and kept on file in the appropriate school or dean’s office. Students who violate the attendance regulations will be referred to the appropriate dean or director, who will counsel or discipline the students. Students who miss class frequently must be prepared to receive a low or failing grade or be advised to withdraw from that course.

Early Departure from School

While early departure before the end of the semester is discouraged, UNCSA recognizes that, from time to time, extenuating circumstances will necessitate approval of such early departure. Students seeking permission to leave school early should meet with their Arts Dean to obtain a permission form and to discuss early departure. (NOTE: Travel or vacation plans are NOT acceptable reasons for early departure. Students should carefully consult the academic calendar and plan accordingly.)

For approval of early departure from graduate classes, an Early Departure Form must be signed by the appropriate instructor, and advisor (if appropriate), and returned to the relevant Dean no less than three weeks prior to the end of the semester.  Copies of the approved Early Departure Form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar as it impacts the enrollment reporting of the student.

Students who leave campus before the end of the semester without having been granted the appropriate permission will be considered to have unexcused absences.

Withdrawal from School

Students who wish to withdraw from UNCSA during a semester must begin the process with the case manager in Student Affairs by submitting the appropriate form, which is available via the Office of the Registrar web site. Students who withdraw from school during a given semester receive no credit for courses taken during that semester, and may not carry a grade of incomplete in any course for which they have not completed. Students who leave school without officially withdrawing will receive grades of “F” for all courses for which they are registered and will forfeit eligibility for refund of tuition or fees. Students who have terminated their enrollment for any reason must apply for readmission before registering for another semester.


Former students who reenroll at UNCSA after an interruption of two years or more will follow the new curriculum in place upon returning. Students who enroll within two years of their last enrollment will take a prescribed transition plan of courses. Students will be asked to sign a memo of understanding so that both advisor and student are aware of the appropriate curricular changes.

Delayed Graduation

Students are required to complete degree requirements at the time of scheduled graduation participation. A student who does not graduate on schedule may seek permission from the faculty of his/her school to complete his/her requirements at a later date. These requirements must be successfully completed within five years after the student’s last enrollment at UNCSA.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence may be granted for a specific period of time for a valid educational purpose. Permission for such a leave must be sought by processing the appropriate form, available in the registrar’s office. Such permission may be granted by the appropriate arts dean, with the understanding that no credit can be given for studies or projects undertaken by the student while not officially enrolled in school. No tuition is paid for a semester during which a leave of absence has been granted and no application fee for readmission is required if the student reenrolls for the semester immediately following the leave period.

Grading System

UNCSA’s grading scale is based on a 4.0 scale. The highest grade awarded for coursework at UNCSA is the grade of “A” with a quality point award of 4.0. Quality point average is determined by dividing the sum of quality points by the sum of semester hours. Prior to Fall 2011, a grade of “A+” could be given, carrying 4.5 quality points. Final grades for courses are available at the end of each semester on E-Z Arts. The new grading scale is as follows: (Quality points are awarded per semester hour).

F = 0
P = Pass
W = Withdrew

Probation and Continuance

Students should consult the Bulletin section for Institutional Policies where probation and continuation are concerned, and to learn the specific grade and quality point requirements for continuance in their programs and for graduation. (See the Probation and Discontinuance policy located in the Institutional
Policies section of the Bulletin.)

Incomplete Coursework

Occasionally, because of personal, medical or other emergencies that may arise, a student may be unable to take final examinations or juries or complete the final assignments for a course. In such cases, a grade of “Incomplete” may be requested for one semester so that the student may complete the courses in which satisfactory progress was being made at the time of the request. The normal time limit to complete the work for a course in which a grade of “Incomplete” has been given is the end of the semester immediately following the semester in which the “Incomplete” was given. However, an individual faculty member, with the permission of the appropriate dean, may designate an earlier deadline for making up the incomplete work. Failure to complete the coursework by the end of following semester will result in a grade of “F” for the course.

Academic Integrity Policy

UNCSA is committed to fostering an intellectual, artistic, and ethical environment based on the principles of academic integrity as a critical part of educating artists and citizens. Academic integrity is essential to the success of the University’s mission and violations of academic integrity constitute offenses against the entire UNCSA community.
Students who violate University rules on academic integrity are subject to disciplinary penalties, including the possibility of failure in the course and/or dismissal from the University. Since such academic integrity violations harm the individual, all students, and the integrity of the University, policies on academic integrity will be strictly enforced. For further information please visit the College Handbook Web site.

Student Records

All educational records for students are maintained in the Registrar’s Office and are available for student examination, as outlined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Students are informed at regular intervals of their current grade point averages and credits by logging onto E-Z Arts. Students having questions about their progress are encouraged to address these questions to the registrar.


Transcripts are released only at the written request of the student, except in cases as outlined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Requests should be sent directly to the Office of the Registrar.

Official transcripts bear the signature of the registrar and the School seal and are normally sent directly to other institutions or agencies in sealed envelopes. Unofficial transcripts may be downloaded from the E-Z Arts Web Services.
Transcripts will not be released for students who have an outstanding financial obligation to the School or for students who have been declared in default of institutional, state or federal loans or who have failed to complete the federally required exit interview for National Direct Student/Perkins Loan borrowers. The charge for transcripts is $7 each.  Official transcripts can be ordered at

In-State Residency for Tuition Purposes

The University of North Carolina School of the Arts defines “In-State Residency,” when referring to an academic program and/or tuition rate, as outlined and defined in North Carolina General Statute 116-143.1.

Residency Determination Service (RDS) is the entity responsible for all classifications of residency in North Carolina. Information can be found at (please see full policy in the institutional policies section of the Bulletin).

Course Substitution

Students may need to seek course substitutions on the basis of a documented disability which inhibits the ability to learn certain subjects. For example, students with certain types of learning disabilities may find it next to impossible to learn foreign languages or mathematics. While tutoring and accommodations may help some students succeed in these courses, others may be unable to succeed even with the use of academic adjustments and accommodations. In such situations, students may request a substitution for the course in question. If the course in question is considered to be an essential part of the student’s program, a substitution cannot be granted.

The process established by the UNCSA for requesting a substitution is as follows:

  • Student must have a diagnosed disability that would prohibit his/her ability to learn the subject matter in question. Only those students who are registered with a disability may make a request for a course substitution.
  • The student writes a letter to the Director of Learning Resources requesting the substitution. This letter should contain details of past attempts to take the course (or related courses), information about the disability, and a specific request to substitute the course.
  • The Director of Learning Resoruces will review the disability documentation, transcripts and the student’s letter. If documentation verifies the presence of a disability that would warrant a course substitution, the director will contact the appropriate art school or academic program and ask a dean to recommend a logical course for substitution best suited for the student’s major.
  • The Director of Learning Resources will rely solely on the respective faculty to determine if the course in question is “essential” to the program. The Director of Learning Resoruces will submit findings, including the recommendation of the dean (or designate) from the appropriate art school or academic program, to the Provost, who either approves or rejects the request for substitution. The registrar and the respective dean are informed if the substitution is approved so that the student’s records can be credited with the substitution. The student will be notified of the decision either by phone, e-mail, letter, or in person.

Learning Resources
Telephone (336) 726-6963 Fax (336) 726-6964