Thank you for visiting the University of North Carolina School of the Arts web site. UNCSA is a non-profit, state government institution of higher education, founded in 1963 as America’s first public arts conservatory.
The Internet is an essential part of how UNCSA operates in at least three major areas: instruction; student and administrative services; and relations with the public. The University relies on the Internet to deliver information and applications via several channels, including the Web, social media outlets (such as Facebook and Twitter), mobile applications, and others. The functions of the University may at times involve the collection and dissemination of technical, economic, scholarly, and, in some cases, personal information.
Some personal information, such as students’ educational records and employees’ personnel records, is largely protected from disclosure by statute. Other information may be protected by more general laws, regulations, or policies. With respect to the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information, the intent of the University is to comply with applicable federal law, state law, UNC system policies, and UNCSA policies. Please note that state public records law requires the University to disclose, to anyone who asks, any records that the University has made or received in the course of conducting state business unless there is a specific legal basis for maintaining the privacy of the requested records.
Consent to Disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information
The University recognizes the importance of protecting individual privacy and takes various steps to protect, or limit access to “personally identifiable information” (“PII”) provided by our website visitors. Collection of non-PII or metadata may occur automatically when you visit the University’s website. Utilizing third-party services, such as Google analytics, UNCSA tracks web browsing patterns to understand how our site is being used. Resources are in place to collect, store and review the following information:
1. IP address from which a visitor accesses our web site.
2. Type of browser and operating system used to access our site.
3. Internet Service Provider and country from which you access our web site.
4. Date and times of access to our site.
5. Pages, files, directory structures visited per access.
6. Referral domains (the web site address from which you received referrals or linked from).
How we use Your Information
• Confidentiality: All personal information shared with UNCSA remains confidential.
UNCSA does not share, sell, or rent your personal identifiable information to any
third or fourth party.
• Communications: UNCSA may use your personal identifiable information to communicate with you about academics, education, programs, events, and other services that the University has to offer.
• Advertising: UNCSA’s advertising partners may show UNCSA ads on other websites based upon previous interaction with UNCSA (remarketing). A list of our advertising partners is available upon request. You may also opt out of remarketing by visiting Google’s Ad Settings.
It is your choice whether or not to provide PII to the University via the Internet. Voluntarily-Provided User Information may include:
1. Personal Contact Information necessary to reply to comments and requests for information.
2. User-Identifying Information used to grant permission to use limited access content areas such as those for perspective and current students, faculty and staff.
The University web site utilizes computer system software programs to monitor network traffic and to identify unauthorized attempts to upload, change and or otherwise cause damage. These attempts to cause damage could be subject to legal action based on North Carolina Statutes. Notwithstanding security measures that the University undertakes, UNCSA does not represent or warrant that PII will be protected against unauthorized access or misuse.
Other Web Links
The University website also provides links to web pages outside of the University domain. The University is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of any of those websites.
UNCSA’s Commitment to Privacy
If at any time UNCSA believes that any personal identifiable information has been comprised, UNCSA will notify all affected users within 72 hours.
UNCSA may revise this Privacy Statement at any time by posting such changes on the University web site. Your use of UNCSA’s web site constitutes acceptance of the Privacy Statement and any revision made to it.