School of Music Dean
Welcome to the School of Music at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts.
I invite you to explore our fine school and its wonderful faculty through our website or a campus visit. Every day I am reminded of what makes this school so unique. Our faculty are exceptionally talented artists and scholars with international reputations. These artist-teachers, along with our talented high school, college, graduate, and certificate students present more than 200 public performances each year in state-of-the-art facilities that include Watson Hall, Crawford Hall, Hood Recital Hall, and the Stevens Center. Our guest artist program regularly brings world-class musicians such as Frederica von Stade and the Emerson String Quartet to campus for an up-close and personal experience for our students.
The city of Winston-Salem is a thriving arts community and provides numerous “gig” opportunities for our more advanced students. We regularly partner with our sister schools in drama, design and production, filmmaking, and dance to create truly breathtaking productions that rival professional companies around the world.
I look forward to welcoming you to UNCSA either as a student, parent, concertgoer, or supporter.
Wade Weast, Dean
School of Music
"What a wonderful place for serious study and growth. The facilities
are some of the best that I've seen anywhere and the faculty is top-notch,
with real world experience under their belts...a student couldn't ask for a
better situation to learn and grow as both a person and an artist." ~ Jennifer Higdon, Composer, Curtis Institute of Music
- With selective admissions, a robust scholarship program, and 7-to-1 student-to-teacher ratio, we function like a private conservatory, yet are affiliated with the highly respected University of North Carolina system.
- We offer a world-class artist faculty and an ample array of distinguished visiting artists to inspire and guide our students.
- Magnificent facilities, including Watson Chamber Music Hall with state-of-the-art acoustics, are learning laboratories for students.
- We offer superb training and a well-rounded education in Post-Master's Studies, Graduate Studies, Undergraduate Studies and High School Studies programs.
- Our campus is vibrant with other arts: dance, design and production, drama, filmmaking, and visual arts.
With all these elements, there’s no place else like the School of the Arts for musical artists to learn and grow!
...preparing the artists of the future
UNCSA Wind Ensemble: Blown Away by UNCSA artist-faculty Lawrence Dillon
UNCSA Symphony Orchestra: Symphony No. 3 in F Major - Andante by Johannes Brahms
UNCSA Jazz Ensemble: Groove Blues by Don Menza